Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP SP3

• Please log in to reply

jsaklas

jsaklas

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I've searched on line for a definitive answer to the question: Should I upgrade my XP SP2 to XP Service Pack 3 and can not find a consistent answer.

I have an older machine on which my XP SP2 crashed; I reloaded an older version of XP with SP2 (with much help from Geeks to Go), but because it was not a recent version, there are many updates that were not included. My machine has only 512 RAM (but I will increase this), a Pentium 4 processor at 2.66 GHz. I use Norton System Works and Anti-virus 2009 (Although it frustrates me, always running background stuff that sends my CPU to 100%.)

MS is prompting me to upload SP3, but I am receiving mixed messages from friends, blogs, forums, etc.

What should I do? Upload SP3 or somehow upload many (which ones?) of the updates that I don't have on my computer?

Thanks.

Advertisements

robert.wiechert

robert.wiechert

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

I've searched on line for a definitive answer to the question: Should I upgrade my XP SP2 to XP Service Pack 3 and can not find a consistent answer.

I have an older machine on which my XP SP2 crashed; I reloaded an older version of XP with SP2 (with much help from Geeks to Go), but because it was not a recent version, there are many updates that were not included. My machine has only 512 RAM (but I will increase this), a Pentium 4 processor at 2.66 GHz. I use Norton System Works and Anti-virus 2009 (Although it frustrates me, always running background stuff that sends my CPU to 100%.)

MS is prompting me to upload SP3, but I am receiving mixed messages from friends, blogs, forums, etc.

What should I do? Upload SP3 or somehow upload many (which ones?) of the updates that I don't have on my computer?

Thanks.

You should want to update Windows to SP3 because it includes the latest Windows updates, security patches, all the hotfixes you'll need from SP1 to SP3. I would also suggest ditching Norton System Works, and Anti-virus 2009, they are system resource hogs causing your system to run slow, download AVG Free Home Edition, Spybot S&D, and Spyware Blaster. Those programs will do a great job for protecting your PC from viruses, and best of all, they're free.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
When Avg virus scanner went to version 8.5 it became a resource hog on some units. It is a good program and if that slows you down, I would look at Avast or Avira (both free).
A much better program than Spybot SD is Malwarebytes anti malware (MBAM). We are using on Geeks to Go on a regular basis.

Go to the link in my signature "Preventing Malware and safe computing" and have a look at what we recommend.

123runner

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I totally second 123Runner here.

As for SP3...
If you keep all your Windows updates current, you can safely skip SP3. As you noticed, it causes some problems on SOME computers.
If you decide to go ahead and install it, make sure, your computer is 200% malware and garbage free, first.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I knew there was something I forgot to add.

Broni is correct on SP3. The consensus seems to be that for that update to work, the computer needs to be in top shape (better than top shape), and perfectly clean.

trentdw

trentdw

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
avira is the best av i found yet auto updates and don't slow your comp down
and it a nice protector.100% in my book good luck

robert.wiechert

robert.wiechert

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I fully agree with 123Runner & Broni. The system would have to be in tip top shape, and fully clean of any junk.