Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista and Windows 7 BSOD 0x0000007B after MoBo change

• Please log in to reply

infinitemonkeys

infinitemonkeys

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I'm hoping someone is clever enough to help me resolve a problem. I had a system go down and took the CPU and drives (1 PATA, 1SATA) to a Dell Dimension 9150. Upon startup either Windows Vista or Windows 7 RC1 partitions load for about 5 seconds before getting BSOD 0x0000007b 0XC00000034 ...
You can find Dell's diag/fixes for this BSOD here: Dell BSOD diag
Past experience tells me the 7B is a boot device failure and the second # is SATA RAID. When I've seen this in the past it's been because I changed the SATA RAID settings and confused Windows. This time I can't go back to the original MoBo and must use the new one which seems to have different settings or at least completely different SATA drivers. Neither Windows startup option will boot. Nor can I boot if I change the SATA to any of the four settings allowed. Nor will it boot if I completely disable SATA and try to boot from the PATA (Windows Vista) partition.

I've loaded Windows 7 RC1 on a different partition (and am currently using it), so I know the hardware is fine and functional. But I have dozens and dozens of applications on my older boots that I need to keep web development, graphics, and other business going. I groan at the daunting thought of reloading all the plugins and other settings for my graphic apps alone, much less setting back up all the sites and services for my web design.

I believe what I need is to somehow slip the correct drivers for the Dimension 9150 into the registry or at least get a repair to allow me to load/add drivers to a fix. But I haven't been able to find any way to do this. I don't really care about the old Windows 7 RC1 boot. It's the Vista one that has all my apps.
A perfectly acceptable alternative would be to upgrade the Vista to Windows 7 RC1, but when I boot from the DVD to do this, it tells me for an upgrade, I must boot 'normally' and then start the installation. Since I can't boot normally, that's out.

Any geniuses out there with a clever method of getting the right SATA drivers onto Windows Vista when it won't boot?
Thanks 1,000,000 to all who try to help!

Edited by infinitemonkeys, 05 September 2009 - 08:05 PM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

You can't just move a hrddrive and put it in a new system and expect it to boot as it won't. Nothing in the Windows registry will match the new hardware.

Do you have the cd that came with the Dell?

What system did the old CPU and hdd come from?

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 06 September 2009 - 08:19 AM.

infinitemonkeys

infinitemonkeys

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The old system was a custom built ECS motherboard system. I can get any drivers or recreate the CD that came with the Dell if I can find some way to apply the drivers. That is not a problem, nor are hardware intercompatibility or insufficient resources.

An alternate scheme occurred to me last night. I'm speculating whether I can rebuild Vista on a new partition (incorporating the new MoBo drivers, et al.) then copy the registry files and import them into the new build. Then, of course, copy over all applications, and rename drive letters. It might work, though I can see pitfalls and I wish there was a simpler solution.

So, I'm still open to a better solution and appreciate any advice from someone who has resolved something similar.

Thanks

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Boot the system using the Dell cd. (it was a Vista cd right?)

From there, keep following the prompts until you get to the "repair" option.

Run that.

You will have to do it with the Win7 hdd as well using the Win7 cd.

Murray

infinitemonkeys

infinitemonkeys

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have booted to Dell Vista install CDs (not the one from this machine, but a later copy). I had hoped the drivers would be natively on the CD, but tried to manually load the drivers as well, only to find out the Intel 82801 GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) drivers only come as an install from Intel. I could not find them separately loadable. So, the Dell CD repair failed without adding the drivers and (despite my earlier confidence) I can't find those drivers separately. I'm trying to contact Intel about that detail.

Still stuck.

Update: Intel provided the drivers, but loading them during repair did not fix the problem.

Edited by infinitemonkeys, 09 September 2009 - 02:06 PM.