Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

KVM style setup?

• Please log in to reply

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Scenario: I have a tech bench that has anywhere from 10 to 20 computers all running at the same time, doing various things (virus scans, file moving, installs, OS installs, scans of all sorts) so, being a programmer I am inherently lazy. So rather than walking around to click next and trouble shoot and what not. I want to run everything into a box (something like a KVM switch) that is then hooked to my main computer, and can be controlled from my main computer, without having to install software on all the tech bench machines. I want it to be able to use the keyboard on the tech bench machines at all times regardless of OS and everything(just like a KVM switch) but better?

Does this type of a solution exist, if so where do I buy it?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
For that many computers, you are talking a lot of money - http://www.kvm-switc...m/0su22091.html

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
well the boss may think about spending it cause that way I can remote log in to my main machine and work from home/wherever. thanks but is there a certain name for this type of a switch? I can't seem to find anything that says anything other than KVM switch

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
KVM is it - for keyboard, video and mouse.

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
yes.... I know but these are specialized switches that can be remotely operated

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

yes.... I know but these are specialized switches that can be remotely operated

I don't know a way you can do what you want without some remote control software running on each machine.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.belkin.com/kvm/sms/

you may want to do a little more research on these contraptions than i have...but these are KVM's that are actually IP addressable... you can access any of the machines connected to them via your web browser etc...so you can even manage the bios and boot up remotely