Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Direct Linux to Unix Networking

• Please log in to reply

linuxjenni

linuxjenni

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

was wondering if someone can help please.

I am trying to connect an IBM Intellstation Z Pro with redhat installed. I have not installed this machine, and am in a remote location trying to set some stuff up for work, and have been left with no instructions and no install disks etc, so please bear with me!

I have to get data from nas drives, connected to a UNIX system. This was all meant to have been done before, but as these things often happen, I've been left to deal.
I am not an IT person, I'm a data processor, I know a certain amount about computers, but not a lot. So sorry if I can't provide you with all the details to reply.

Basically, both the Linux and the Unix systems were meant to be on the local network and server, however this has not been done. We do not have IP addresses for the server either, the Linux is mounted on it, and can see it fine.

The obvious answer to me would be to add the Unix to the server/network and be able to access the data like that, but as we have no passwords for the server and network, we can't.

We have no tape drives that are mutually compatible between the two machines to be able to access the data needed that way either.

Now, the only option to us, is to directly link the two systems via an Ethernet cable. Does anyone know how to do this? I have tried plugging the Linux directly to the Nas drive, and pinging the IP address of the nas, but can not get the ping to work successfully. Any ideas??

I will be forever in your debt if you do!!! :)

Advertisements