Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partitioning an external HDD

• Please log in to reply

sagar13

sagar13

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello,

I recently bought a 320 gb external hdd. I have placed about 150 gb of the backup data. now i want to partition it into two. is this possible? if yes, how? i use power quest partition magic application to partition the built in hard disk. Can i use it to partition my external hdd as well? will this cause any loss of the data stored in hdd?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi sagar13 and welcome to Geeks to Go.

To answer your questions....
Yes
Yes
and maybe.

To clarify...You most definately can partition the external drive. I am not familiar with power quest, but if it can "see" the external, it should be able to partition it.

Will it cause data loss? Most likely not, BUT there is always the possibility.

sagar13

sagar13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
it does shows external drive (in power quest) but i cant partition it using this application(it does not support partitioning external HDD). Now, is there any other application that can help me do so?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I own partition magic and it works quite well.
I went looking for an imaging software and found Easeus imaging software and partitioning software.

The Easeus Partition Master Free Edition I am quite happy with.
And it is free.

123runner

sagar13

sagar13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i owe partition magic as well....but it does not provide with much functioning over external HDD. what version of partition magic do u have?

anyway i'll try using Easeus Partition Master, and reply back asap.

thank you 123runner.