Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no post or error beeps

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi to everyone at geeks to go,

I have a similar problem to other posts that I have read on this forum regarding the no input signal message
on my monitor & i have tried a couple of the possible solutions but with no luck & so desperately need some expert help. My trouble started after installing a sapphire ati radeon hd 2400 pro 512mb X8 agp graphics card, the display & sound stuttered so i looked to my mobo manual for tips on improving performance & made these adjustments:1:set internal cache to enabled 2:set bios cacheable to enabled 3:set 32k shadow to enabled 4:set fast command to ultra 5:set fast R2R turnaround to enabled 6: set the agp fast write to enabled & the aperture to 256, at this point my monitor went blank & nothing i have tried makes any differance, to date i have tried clearing the cmos/ changed the psu as on checking found it to be 250watt,
i put in a 500 watt psu still nothing/ disconnected everything from the mobo nothing, i hope this explanation is not too long winded my system is as follows:MSI-MS 6775(V1.X)atx mobo,WD caviar 160gb HD,
2.5gb kingston ddr ram,sapphire ati 512mb agp graphics card, creative x-fi extreme fidelity sound card, Optiquest Q241wb monitor,DVD burner & DVD rom, floppy drive, 500 watt psu & the os is xp/sp 2.
I would appreciate any help if possible,

Thanks,

Rage (against the machine)

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

I guess the obvious questions are...
What happens if you pull the ATI card and reinstall the original? Still the same problems?
Did you install the correct drivers for the ATI card?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Makai,

Thanks for the quick reply, the graphics were fine with the new card until i tried playing anything that
was 3D then the card was stuttering, that was the only reason i tried to improve the overall system performance, ive tried the previous card back in/ no input signal, i connected my laptop to the monitor which is only about 3 months old & it worked ok.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
So, are you saying you have no video on the monitor now? I'm not clear with this.

Also, do me a favor and power down the computer... pull the plug. Now connect up the plug and power up. Just after all the bios information is supposed to post on the screen, there should be a single bios beep. Whether or not you can see the screen displaying something, is there that single bios beep? I'm hoping you have a speaker inside the computer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello,

Sorry the last post wasn`t very clear, the graphics card is in place when the no input signal message appears, the same message appears if i disconnect the monitor to card lead.
Yes there is an onboard speaker but there is no beep at all, all other drives operate ok.
Before i changed the previous settings the display was set to pci in the bios set up & as the card is
agp i thought that was what was causing the poor performance & so changed the setting to agp & the
aperture to 256 the, the previous card was a 256mb agp radeon & the present is a 512mb agp radeon,
i hope this is more helpful

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Yes there is an onboard speaker but there is no beep at all

This generally means the bios didn't complete, is confused, or is dead. Try starting the computer without any video card installed. Do you get any beeps at all? The bios will grumble if there's no vid card. At the very least you'll be able to tell if the bios is alive.

You might also try resetting the bios by pulling the motherboard battery. Pull it out and leave it out for about 5 seconds, then reinsert it and try restarting again (with video card). Hopefully, resetting may clear up the problem. Or, you can download the motherboard manual HERE and follow the directions on page 35 for clearing the bios. Note... I'm not 100% sure this is your motherboard. MSI is not great for supporting boards they sell to oem manufactures. I'm not even sure who makes your computer, whether it's self built or oem (dell, hp, etc). In any case, look at the pdf file and see if the photo looks like your motherboard before following it.

One last thing, some vid cards require that you connect one of the power supply molex connectors to the card. Does the card you have require additional power from a molex, and if so, did you connect it? I know it's a silly question, but I gotta ask! :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I tried the suggestions you made in the same order,
no beep or grumble only the noise of the hard drive,
yes it is my mobo & i have tried clearing the cmos
as directed in the manual,
i have also tried two new batteries just in case,
there is no seperate power supply for the card.

I am grateful for your time & effort to help its much
appreciated.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Something may have killed the board. Perhaps when you swapped the vid card, the motherboard vid slot got damaged. The bios should definitely beep if there's no vid card. The same thing should happen if you pulled all the ram (different beep code though).

What I would do is disconnect everything except the following...
1 ram stick (if you have two or more)
power supply
CPU
vid card (not sure which one)
monitor (change the monitor cable if you have an extra one)
PS2 keyboard and mouse (no usb or wireless)
1 harddrive (disconnect others)

Also disconnect all CD/DVDROMs and floppies.
Also any periferal devices, such as printers, scanners,etc.

Try to boot again to see what happens. If it still doesn't boot, then pull all ram to see if your bios will grumble (beeping). If the bios doesn't grumble, make sure the speaker is connected correctly and if you have another speaker swap it out to make sure it's just not a bad speaker that's causing you not to hear any beeping.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I disconnected everything from the board & think
i could hear some low audible beeps but im not sure
also i am not sure were the speaker is, i am just
about to try another monitor lead i have borrowed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I tried putting everything back together &
connected the new monitor lead & no change.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If you look at page 2-18 of the PDF I linked, you can see where the speaker is hooked up. It should help you trace out where the speaker is.

So you're saying you heard the beeps when you removed the ram, but not the video card? It quite important as it's looking like a bad motherboard. The bios should beep without the vid card installed. You may need to retry removing the vid and ram again to test.

I really hate to think the motherboard died and if it were me, I would strip everything out down to the bare bones, even pulling the motherboard out of the case and powering up outside the case with only the recommended parts (see post #8). I would also consider reseating the processor if all else fails.

When you power up, you also state you hear the harddrive spinng. Is the harddrive led blinking like the machine is booting up?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I was just about to post back to let you know
that i had taken the board out & tried it with
the bare essentials cpu & hs, 1 stick of ram,
card etc & got no beeps or signal to monitor i
then removed the card/ram & it made no differance.
Could i have trashed the bios chip when i changed
the settings?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sorry i forgot to mention no the hd light
stays on for about 10-15 seconds then goes out.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You mentioned this...

i could hear some low audible beeps but im not sure
also i am not sure were the speaker is

...in a previous post. I really hate to keep bringing it up, but did you connect the speaker when you tried it outside the case? Seems like an obvious thing to do, but I have to ask.

Could i have trashed the bios chip when i changed
the settings?

I doubt very much you could have trashed the bios by changing settings. This is why we need to verify bios beeps. I'm more leaning toward the MB was damaged when you changed vid cards, but then it could still be something else we're overlooking.

I need to mention here as I don't know how much you know about computers. This computer has an ATX power supply. ATX power supplies ALWAYS supply power to the motherboard if the AC is plugged in. So... I'm hoping that eveytime you went in to work, you pulled the AC plug. Forgive me if this sounds a little condesending, but in a forum environment, you just never know what experience the user has.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Yes i am aware of the need to pull the plug
before working inside the case,i have had a
good luck at the board outside of the case &
there are no signs of any damage anywhere at all.
I traced the red & black speaker wire/plug back to
by the reset switch etc & connected it to the
board outside of the case.
The new agp card was working ok for a couple of
weeks for normal applications & only played up on
3D games, that was when i changed the settings &
got myself into this mess.