Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not delete the file BOOT.INI

• Please log in to reply

dovagsh

dovagsh

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

In need to un hide boot.ini in C in order for me to delete it I tried editing it but it is set for read only and I don’t know how to take full control of it. I tread to change it or delete it from the command line but still it is not working … I want to replace boot.ini with boot.ini.backup and which I edited and then I will rename it to boot.ini … but I am not able to delete the boot.ini and its making my mad. Please Help

Ps: modifying the file in a slave hard disc
:)

Edited by dovagsh, 07 September 2009 - 04:27 AM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The boot.ini is not a read only file unless you or someone else changed its attributes to be so. You can edit or delete it if you want, but I hope you realize you need it to boot up your comp. Can I ask why you're editing it and what you're trying to accomplish?

dovagsh

dovagsh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Makai

I cold not boot to windows normal mode because boot.ini was set to boot in safe mode which has some problem and wont start .. and I could not go back to normal mode unless I delete this line in boot.ini in read :

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /safeboot:minimal

But I managed to do that by copying it from the cmd I think I did something wrong when I tried the first time .. thanx
:)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is easy to fix.
Just take out the stuff in red.
Save the file and exit.
Reboot and the system should boot correctly.
If you have done that then the system should now be booting into normal mode.

dovagsh

dovagsh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Alrady done thanks :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Great work! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you.

castorius

castorius

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys,

I've got the same problem... I can't Boot to Windows because some files are corrupted ...( System 32 hal.dll ) I tried to fix that , by expanding ....i386 / system32 hal.dl_ .... etc etc and i failed. So now my last hope to boot to Windows in Order to save my files and the format them, is to delete the boot.ini and then rebuild it ( bootcfg/rebuild)... So while i'm working with the commands whenever I type : del c:\boot:ini, It says ACCES DENIED ... I tried many times and the result was the same...

I have to ''save'' some files from my ''dead'' Windows..

I also tried to ''save'' them by running Linux Ubuntu live cd,
well i have to mention that i'm using two Hard Disks, I mounted the one succesfully but the other one couldn't be mounted,So I tried to Force it from the Terminal , but I also failed...

And I dont know what to do...

Innos

Innos

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Why don't you try to repair windows? The repair won't format anything and you may solve your problem. For me, repair has solved many things which I would proceed on format otherwise. Click Here to see how to Repair Windows

castorius

castorius

• Pip
  • 2 posts
All these commands that i'm trying to run , are part of the Repair Mode...
I've inserted the Windows Xp CD and i've chosen the Repair -R- selection...
And then I followed the steps in order to Fix the System32/hal/dl
Failed..

Then I thought about the file Boot.ini
Also Failed...

Is there any hope If I normally Format in order To Back Up on a previous date, so as to save my files...? I think that This is also pointless because we are talking about a destructed Windows File and who knows after all these procedures I've done i may have caused further destruction on the windows files...So i'm not sure about that...

Innos

Innos

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
In that case, a technician will answer you soon.