Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB to Parallel cable

• Please log in to reply

urbrojr

urbrojr

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have a HP printer which has only a Parallel input but I am getting a machine which has only an USB outlet for a printer. I have seen cables that should do the trick but I am not sure if such a cable would work. don't want to buy a new printer as the present one works fine. I have seen some on the usual sites (ebay,amazon etc) but most of them are only 3Ft and I need a litle longer one (is it possible to take a usb cable from the computer to the aforementioned cable and make such a connection.
Seems logical but not sure. Any suggestions....URBROJR

Advertisements

zarby

zarby

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I bought a Belkin USB hub that accepts USB computer connection and outputs the parallel printer connection. It sort of works but had to call the service tech. It is not a sure bet because the drivers may not be compatible. You probably should get such a set-up from your local vendor and return it with a full refund if it does not work. If this works, you can have a long parallel cable to your printer. Hope this helps.

Zarby

urbrojr

urbrojr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Zarby thanks for your input.I will check the hub idea. One local supplier wanted almost $40.00 for a short parallel to usb cable. And the guy didn't know much except it was a cable. I will check your idea...Thanks again........URBROJR

zarby

zarby

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi Urbrojr,

You're welcome. Glad to be of assistance.

Zarby :)

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You might also want to consider a HP JetDirect box. It puts your printer on your local network. I have gotten a couple of these boxes for free as they are older and some companies want to get rid of old equipment.

eBay has some which are pretty cheap, but you might also try other sources such as craigslist, freecycle, freesharing, etc.