Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Problem?

• Please log in to reply

Athreyu

Athreyu

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well, here's my problem. If I leave my PC on and running then walk away for a couple of hours the monitor will be on standby... Well no matter how much I move the mouse or turn the monitor on and off the light on the monitor will stay orange. My computer seems to be on and running so I don't get it. In order for me to fix the problem I have to flip the switch on the back of my computer and I don't want to keep doing that. :) Anyone know how to deal with this??

Advertisements

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Standby actually cuts the power to all of the computer except the memory components needed to retain your computer's state. So you need to press the power button to use the computer again.

The orange light also means the computer's power is off.

I think what you want is for the monitor to turn off, but also the computer not to go into standby.

Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Power Options > Make sure the time to "Turn off hard disks" and "System standby" is Never.

Now set the time of "Turn off monitors" to something you find suitable.

Randomlygeneratedusername.

Edited by Randomlygeneratedusername, 08 September 2009 - 10:21 AM.

Athreyu

Athreyu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Nonono that's not what I mean. I mean the computer is on but the monitor has that orange light. No matter how many times I turn the monitor on or off it'll go green for a second then go straight to orange everytime without showing anything. This whole time the compiter is on. :) What I want is to be able to leave and come back 3 hours later and still be able to move the mouse or whatever and continue what I was doing earlier, without, having to manually flip the switch on the back of my PC and screw my OS up more in order to get back on my PC.

Athreyu

Athreyu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry for the double post but I really need help. :)

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
I don't think it is a monitor problem, the orange light means your computer is not receiving a signal from your computer's video.

Perhaps some components of your computer are shutting down automatically.

Have you tried putting the hard disk setting to "Never" and leaving your computer on?

Athreyu

Athreyu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes I've tried that. I really don't understand why it's doing it. =/

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
It could also be your components overheating due to leaving them on too long.

Athreyu

Athreyu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
There's nothing else you can think of that would cause this problem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hey guys can I offer some suggestions?

Try a different monitor
Try the monitor on a known working system
Try going back to post #2 and disable all power savings instead of just hard drives
Try turning off hibernation mode

I doubt very much this is a heat problem since the system itself keeps running.
If the system was overheating with most cpu's nowadays the system would shutdown a a safety feature.