Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD/RW and external drives

• Please log in to reply

CaptainMick

CaptainMick

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok - after an exhaustive search of just about every forum I was able to find I could not locate anyone who has had the same problem I'm having. I have a Toshiba Satellite M305 with Vista Professional 64-bit loaded (factory)and I have one of the most unique problems I've ever encountered. For starters, my DVD/RW drive will not read a CD or DVD, however it WILL recognize a blank disc of either type, respectively. I am able to burn to either media as well, but again cannot read a burned or bought disc of either type.

In addition, the ability to read a flash drive is gone as well. I cannot read flash drives from USB ports, but the computer will recognize that there's one there and update the 'My Computer' folder accordingly. The same goes for SD cards that I put into the reader slot in the laptop.

Joystick works fine. External mouse works fine. It's just localized to storage devices from what I can tell. I hope someone can help! Thanks in advance for reading.

Advertisements