Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help - dell inspirion

• Please log in to reply

p123pc

p123pc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all I am new here and this is my first post. Please bare with me as I am not really tech savy.

Here is my dilema - I have a dell inspirion 1520 running windows XP - bought new from dell 2-3 years ago. My hard drive is shot on this machine - I did manage to pull the drive and salvage the data before it crapped out completely.

I also have a dell 1525 running windows vista which my wife like allot better than xp. So my question is once I put the new drive in the 1520 can I use the reformat disk from the 1525 to add vista to the machine? Is this legal were I own the original copy on the 1525?

It should also be noted the there is no reformat disk for the 1520 becuase of the F11 and ctrl format built into the hard drive, so I called dell and they want to charge my for a disk that needed to format it.

Are there any other options? Like I said I legally own and have the registration keys for both operating systems just wondering what my options are so I can get my second computer up and running.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

So my question is once I put the new drive in the 1520 can I use the reformat disk from the 1525 to add vista to the machine? Is this legal were I own the original copy on the 1525?

Like I said I legally own and have the registration keys for both operating systems

Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Unfortunately, you are wrong in assuming you "own" the Vista installation and key codes. All you "own" is the right to use that operating system and install cd according to Microsofts EULA and licensing agreement. That states you can only use it on one system at a time. Now, because this os and install cd is also OEM, that means it can never be used on any other system ever. It is forever married to the original system it was installed on.

Your only option is to either buy a new version of XP, buy the proper cd from Dell for the system that failed or buy a new copy of Vista.

Murray

p123pc

p123pc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well doesn't that suck a little bit. Thanks for the quick reply!!!