Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD driv is invisible, quick response appreciated

• Please log in to reply

Michael_L

Michael_L

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I'm a noob to this forum so sorry in advance for any silly mistakes i might make.

So heres the problem:
I recently upgraded my XP os to sp3,
and since my dvd drive has become invisible, doesnt show up on my computer or device manager.
shows up in bios and on other OS
conected to the only ide port on my motherboard.
im looking for a solution that doesnt require reformatting or reinstalling windows.
I have too much data to back up and programs that I need and no longer have access to.
as said in the title I really need a quick response, for I have limited internet access.

thank you for your help.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Try this.
Start/Run/Regedit
Browse to registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
Key Name:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Value Data: [Delete All Value Data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters]
Note: Do not delete the Key or the Multi-String Values. Delete only the data values.
Exit Registry and Reboot

This should restore your DVD drive if your drive is still good.

SRX660

Michael_L

Michael_L

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did that already, sorry I forgot to mention that.
But I know that the drive is still good. it works on my vista os that I have installed on the same comp.
I also tried several different dvd drives from my other comps, none of them show up.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Next step is to try this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

SRX660

Michael_L

Michael_L

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've tried everything there, didnt work.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you have deleted all cdrom and-or dvdrom drives ( drives other than the hard drive) from device manager and restarted the computer and the dvd drive is still not recoginized then the next thing to do is replace the data cable to the dvd drive. If the data cable is good borrow a dvd drive from a friend ( or anywhere you can get it) and see if that drive is seen. If the borrowed drive is not seen it may be time to reinstall Windows on the computer.

A problem like this may be caused by a hard drive developing bad sectors that could be in the area tha data is kept for the boot sequence. I think you really need to have the HD tested to see if there are bad sectors. Heres a article on how to do this.

http://www.pcstats.c...t...1583&page=5

http://www.pcstats.c...t...1583&page=6

SRX660