Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Everest INFO---WinXP---Cannot find wireless after reinstall

• Please log in to reply

BNC

BNC

• Pip
  • 4 posts
After HOURS/days of searching this wonderful forum...and loading drivers for my computer along the way, I am not able to locate any information on how to load/locate my wireless internet (driver?) wlan card.

I used systematics wipeinfo on my kids' computer months ago, as it was running slow due to age, high res photos, and educational games we had loaded over the years. At one point, prior to the wipeinfo, I was able to connect my desktop wirelessly, without any external wireless usb device, to my 2wire gateway.

Computer: Dell Dimension 2350
Running: Windows XP Home Edition (borrowed the reinstall cd- as they didn't provide one when we purchased our computer in '03)
Had problems with the "other devices" not being loaded onto the computer after windows xp reinstall- I had yellow question marks/exclamation marks over itmes....located information on what/how to reinstall the drivers (hopefully I did it correctly- I provided the information at the bottom)question marks are no longer in the device manager area. I used my external hard drive to reload the proper drivers for the windows xp. I am only wanting to get online for my kids, I know it is an ancient dinosaur of a computer-memory is blah, but, it's perfect for my young children.
I ran Everest Home edition on the windows xp, as well. (hopefully I haven't loaded anything incorrectly...)

I am also using the 2wire wireless gateway for the following items.
Dell Laptop: Inspiron E1705 (running Windows Vista),
Wii,
Angel network (for t.v. programs)

Thanks for ALL of the wonderful information I have found thus far--AWESOME!!
~Nicole
Following is the report:
Computer BEDROOM (Kids)
Generator Owner
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2009-09-10
Time 17:15

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
DirectX 4.08.01.0810 (DirectX 8.1)
Computer Name BEDROOM (Kids)
User Name Owner

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 1800 MHz (18 x 100)
Motherboard Name Dell Dimension 2350
Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale-G i845GL
System Memory 256 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (10/28/02)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (64 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel Extreme Graphics
Monitor Dell M782 [17" CRT] (8G1572AOB0RE)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive Maxtor 6E030L0 (30 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Disk Drive Maxtor OneTouch USB Device (465 GB, USB)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B (40x/12x/40x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 29282 MB (26443 MB free)
E: (NTFS) 476937 MB (112261 MB free)
Total Size 494.4 GB (135.5 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Modem BCM V.90 56K Modem
Modem Communications cable between two computers

Peripherals:
USB1 Controller Intel 82801DB ICH4 - USB Controller [B-0]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801DB ICH4 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [B-0]
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

At one point, prior to the wipeinfo, I was able to connect my desktop wirelessly, without any external wireless usb device, to my 2wire gateway.

That would be a good trick if you don't actually have a wireless card! :)

Do you have any red or yellow items showing up in Device Manager now? Can you supply a screenshot of Device manager... please expand any yellow/red tree so we can see what might be missing.

Also, please expand Network Adapaters if you have this entry in Device manager.

BNC

BNC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ha ha...yes, it would be a good trick...Maybe I am using my neighbors wifi- :)

Do you have any red or yellow items showing up in Device Manager now? no
Can you supply a screenshot of Device manager? yes..it might be a second
please expand any yellow/red tree so we can see what might be missing. n/a
Also, please expand Network Adapaters if you have this entry in Device manager. broadcom 440x 10/100 Intergrated Controller

Thanks So Much!
~Nicole

Edited by BNC, 10 September 2009 - 05:06 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, we're back to the "trick"... are you certain you connected wirelessly? According to the Dell documentaion, there is no integrated wireless on your motherboard. Do you know if you added an add-on card at some point? Silly question, but is there a wireless antenna sticking out the back of the computer? Also, what is the full model number of the computer? ... in case the 2350 is part of a series.

BNC

BNC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Really...now that's funny! :)
No, I don't remember purchasing an "add-on card"...Not unless it was supplied originally with the purchase of the computer. Would i have had to add the card into the computer? ...at one point I hooked up a linksys wireless adapter to the desktop but, unplugged it, because it was not needed to access the the wireless 2wire.
After unhooking the linksys, I was also able to add the desktop it to my wireless network and remove information to my laptop downstairs...
Silly question, but is there a wireless antenna sticking out the back of the computer? no
hmmm. I have SEARCHED ALL DAY for some type of wireless driver of some sort

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Yes, you would have to add a wireless card to the computer... or some other type of wireless devices... like the linksys adapter you once had connected.

I have SEARCHED ALL DAY for some type of wireless driver of some sort

You're never going to find one unless you know you have a wireless card installed... which you don't seem to have.

You didn't answer this question...

Also, what is the full model number of the computer? ... in case the 2350 is part of a series.

... please look on the label to see if you can identify the model number. If 2350 is all that's there, then it looks like you're going to be out of luck with this invisible wireless connection! :)

BNC

BNC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
oh sorry...forgot..
Where is the model number located?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
There should be a label on the side/back of the computer. On the label there may be the model number or even a serial number. The serial number might be good also as we may be able to look up the actual build of the computer. If you're uncomfortable about placing the serial number in a public forum, you can send it to me via PM. If you're uncomfortable with that, you can even visit Dell to check on it yourself.