Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu will not display

• Please log in to reply

tuna699

tuna699

• Pip
  • 7 posts
i bought a cpu it arrived i hooked it up started for 2 seconds shut down 2 or 3 times this happened
i took off side plate and cpu fan falls out of place i replace it into position now it powers up but black screen is all i get

suggestions? or possible problems?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Do you mean the cpu fan fell off?

tuna699

tuna699

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
the processor fan was not attached it was laying in the case and unplugged from motherboard and the heat sink was attached to the fan not the processor i reinstalled it and plugged it in but all i got after that was a black screen, is the processor fried now? is the mother board fried? also when i tried to start the cpu the first time i might have smelled an electric short of something.

the mother board is an asus a7n8x-vm400 with a 462 socket
the processor is amd athlon xp 2800+ barton core processor

is there a way to test the processor or the motherboard?

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
OOOooooo, go back to the person (or place) and tell them that the computer they sold you had a faulty hsf (as it fell off) and you want a full refund or new processer. Yes, most likly the processer died. a fully functional hsf is the only thing keeping the processer from overheating.

Nixx