Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my documents and picasa

• Please log in to reply

urbrojr

urbrojr

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am getting a new computer and am trying to collect all of the stuff I want to take along. I loaded all of "my documents" into a thumb drive. (thanks to those who helped with that process). Now I have photo's both on the desktop and in Google's Picasa. They all seem to be Jpeg files and when I click on the desktop I get the various files associated with the photos and I can open them up and view photo's. But I can not find any of this stuff any place in the computer. I went to Windows Explorer but no luck finding any of it there. I cannot even find it in Picasa although when I click on the desktop the photo's are in picasa. Any help
URBROJR

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
I'm not sure I understand your problem.

Now I have photo's both on the desktop and in Google's Picasa.

Does this mean you have 2 copies of each photo? One copy on the desktop and another in Picasa's database? Are all the photo files in Picasa also on the desktop?

They all seem to be Jpeg files and when I click on the desktop I get the various files associated with the photos

What kind of "various files" are you talking about here?

But I can not find any of this stuff any place in the computer

If the files on your desktop are jpegs, then all the files are in your desktop folder under your user name. The desktop folder is located... C:\Document and Settings\<your user name>\desktop

I'm hoping this is the answer you're looking for, but from your description, I'm not really sure it is. :)

urbrojr

urbrojr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks Makai for the help. I think you helped straighten me out. This process for the past couple of weeks have been an education. As follows is what my problem was. As I had mentioned I am getting a new machine got a thumb drive to get everything off machine. I took off "my documents" But I still had Picasa on the desktop and when I opened it up I still had all of my pics. I had thought when I took the mydoc files off to the thumb that the pic's on picasa had been there and I couldn't figure out where the pic's in Picasa had come from since I had already cleared out mydoc's. After your post I went to C:drive and starting right clicking someplace and lo and behold there were the picasa pic's. So I got them onto the thumb. I had always had a problem with Picasa as it was not picking up Pic's from mydoc's. I hope this makes sense. I think I have gotten everything off the machine that I want and onto the thumb. It was the first time I had done anything like this since the last computer I had the HD crashed and I lost everything. This has been helpful, along with an espresso and a double double today. Thanks for the patience. All the best.......URBROJR

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You're welcome!

If you're backing things up to move to another computer, don't forget your IE Favorites, and if you use Firefox, your bookmarks. Also if you use Outlook, your address book.

By the way, moving things to a thumbdrive only "copies" the files to the thumbdrive. The files are not "moved". All files you copy to the thumbdrive will still be on the host machine. So, if you're going to get rid of the old machine and have personal data on it, you will need to destroy that data. If you need help, let us know, and if you don't care about the machine anymore, then the best way to get rid of the data is to format and write zeros to the hard drive. Another topic, but thought I would let you know here.