Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pro Advice?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, I kinda figured it was the programs on your desktop. Judging from the values you listed, it's probably the SVI folder that's making the total used space go over 10gbs. Later, you'll want to dump the restore points prior to making the image. Don't dump them out of the SVI folder. Dump them by turning System Restore Off/On again. Of course, you don't have to do this as its just a recommendation, but then you'll need more DVDs for your image(s). I personally dump restore points every so often, but again, that's just me.

As far as Dos goes, yah, I used to be very comfortable with it too, but it's been so long having worked with it that I've forgotten so much. At work, we still run Legacy programs on Windows 3.1, if you can believe it, but even then, we don't run these programs very often. Luckily, there's the internet and so references are still readily available.

Advertisements

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
LOL, I know... When you haven't worked in DOS for a while it's so alarming to look at isn't it? Maybe it's just me, but I get so intimidated by the big black screen with text. X] So easy to get used to GUIs after so long. I remember when dos was pretty much your interface. My dad was a huge computer geek and I grew up with them. I used to love the games Compuserve magazine used to provide - all the script in BASIC and you had to type it all in and hope it ran - and if it didn't you learned how to debug code the hard way. Then you saved it on an audio cassette to play it. So much fun. I don't use it often either, so I shudder a bit whenever I enter a DOS prompt, but I get used to it again after a while. :)

Yay! Active shows the drive all green. Posted Image

OK, sad... Can't get to the root directory. It's keeping me in Documents and Settings\User

OK cd C:\ got me there.

It says Size 218 Mb, Size on Disk 110 Mb, 134 files, 17 folders

I run my weekly maintenance scans in safe mode with system restore off. So, I end up dumping them anyway. :) Then I create new ones as the scans finish and I get to cleanup & defrag. Acronis is going to be a huge help - I'll never trust restore points again. I've already done 2 copies of this basic configuration image. :)

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Well, the diagnostic for Hitachi that I got from the manufacturer's site has the same issue. Will not complete once I get to "Analyse Mechanics". Oh well. Now I have 3 coasters. =D

Not sure why it won't work for me, but I'm going to trust Active and chkdsk. I think the drive is OK.

Moar installing to do... :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Oh well. Now I have 3 coasters.

Bummers! I think you'll be alright though. If the SMART data is green, then it's probably ok.

It says Size 218 Mb, Size on Disk 110 Mb, 134 files, 17 folders

This doesn't sound right. This is the size of the SVI folder? Are you certain you didn't miss a digit somewhere? Maybe like... 2180 MB... no???

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Nope. Just double-checked. Now it's 280 Mb, 145 Mb on disk, 177 Files, 21 Folders.

I just installed Open Office, so I'm guessing that's why it's larger now.

[Edit]
Went in and checked properties of the restore folder.

282 Mb, 146 Mb on disk, 176 Files, 20 folders.

Edited by n3ko, 13 September 2009 - 09:41 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hmmm... numbers don't add up. Somewhere on C is hiding about 2gb of something, somewhere if your right-click on C drive is over 10gbs. If you want to discover what's using space, you can download and use Spacemonger. Pretty neat little stand alone app.

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Well,there were a couple of folders I didn't mention, I think... But I don't think they added up to that much. A Gig maybe. Spacemonger looks great - I'll check that out first thing when I get started again tomorrow.

Finished installing some major applications - tested and running smoothly. Now I'm just going to configure my wireless and hope it works without that HP Assistant. If not, I'll install that bugger tomorrow too.

Once I try, I'm uplugging and heading to bed. Mondays at work are tough, and I'm already way past my bedtime - gonna be wrecked tomorrow. :)

Have a great night! I'll let you know what Spacemonger says. :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
As far as wireless, you can just let windows manage it. But hopefully AVG will get back to you.

I seriously recommend the Avira AV. I've used AVG for years... in fact I was using AVG from before they took over Ewido and made it their Antispyware application. I stopped using it when they stopped supporting AVG 7.5. Avira is so much quicker and uses less resources. The interface may seem confusing at first, but once you set it up, it runs very clean, and is an excellent AV. They're response time for fixing false positives with a new definition update was less than 2 days for me. This alone tells me they care about their customers... even free ones! Avira also has higher overall ratings in free AV comparisons...

http://www.virusbtn....news/2008/09_02
http://www.freewareg...s-a-comparison/
http://antivirus.abo.../a/freeav_2.htm

Just something to think about, but I really think you'd be happy with it once you switched.

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Nice! Am definitely game for a new antivirus. Frankly, I haven't been happy with AVG for the last year and a half at least. I've been trying Kaspersky, but I don't think it's so good that I want to pay for it. Maybe I'm just a cheapskate. :)

My biggest problem with the latest versions of AVG is that it won't run in safe mode. I kind of does, in a Dos box, but it doen't remove anything (assuming it finds anything) and shuts the box before you can read the findings anyway. I've not found a good way to stop that.

Too right about it being bloated and slow, too. I can't believe how long it takes now. And if you want to do a thorough scan? Honestly, it takes about 2 hours and it makes my processor start to run hot - I blame it for my left lid hinge snapping as a result of heat, even though it's most probably nothing to do with that. LOL

HPs have so many issues though. I love my laptop, but I've taken very careful care of it to help it last through those problems. I won't be buying an HP again - and I used to be a loyal customer.

Anyway - back on topic - I could use a good virus program that is fast and light. Thanks so much for the recommendation! I'll switch out tonight when I get home. And speaking of - time to head on the great commuter slog. See you in about an hour and a half or so. :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I dumped AVG a while ago when it went to version 8. It became bloated as you said.
I tried Avast, but for me the interface was difficult. I settled on Avira. I like it alot.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
All AVs nowadays use "browsing scanners" which slow down internet browsing. Even Avira uses what is called "Guard". I normally disable Guard during installation as I depend on my ZA firewall to take care of things. You can either disable Guard during install, or disable it afterward in Avira. If you need help with configuration, let me know... there's not really that much to take care of.

I used to use HP products long ago... mostly their printers... and the major thing I didn't like was the amount of software crud and startups HP puts on the machine just to run the device. It didn't take me long to switch to Epson for printers and scanners! I've also been using IBM Thinkpad business laptops for a long time now. And while their not the prettiest, being all black, they're easy to maintain in software and hardware. These things are so easy to disassemble it aint even funny! But... as with all manufactures, people do have their share of problems with IBM/Lenovo products so ymmv. So far I've been lucky. Nowadays, Lenovo is beginning to come out with more and more non-business laptops in different colors... I guess to appease the masses.

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I've never had a use for the extras like the browser link scanners etc either. I run Firefox with noscript and javaoptions, and I always have it ask about cookies. I also rely on my firewall, as you do. More, I scan any file downloads before opening then - all good practices anyone should follow. Relying too much on automated programs can only get you in trouble down the line, I think - but then I'm kinda OCD like that. :)

I'm running an Avira scan now - loving it! Much faster, and a nice clean interface. Thanks so much, again! Also have run SpaceMonger - wow interesting! This bears a lot more looking at, when I have a bit more free time. Meanwhile, here's some screen caps for you.

I forgot my key to my wireless connection - I know I wrote it down somewhere safe, but unfortunately it was so safe I forgot where it is. :) Had to re-set the router and reconfigure. The program I used way back last time I did it was the HP Wireless Assistant - that's the one I decided not to install and what I was talking about earlier. Didn't need it though - Linksys has a website to reconfigure now! Cool!

I'm not going to hold my breath on hearing from AVG. I've binned the program anyway, but they rarely get back to me when I send them things - not that I do very often. I'll get a better response from the Malware Forum, I'm sure. So far it look like I don't need that program though.

and the major thing I didn't like was the amount of software crud and startups HP puts on the machine just to run the device.

:) You said it!
That's what I meant when I said there was so much crap for me to load just in drivers and proprietary software. It's nuts - I prefer simple systems. Part of the reason I haven't gone over to Vista yet. LOL

The thing is, HP's prices. I always seem to need a new system when I can't afford a good one. But, I'm doing well at saving for a good one now. I started using Epson years ago too! So much more worth the money, and they last longer.

The worst is the system manufacture problems HP suffers from. I only found out about the ones this line suffers from after I bought it - I should have done more research, but didn't have the time - had to travel and needed a laptop practically yesterday. This one fit the bill. I'm hoping I bought it close enough to the end of the lifespan of the line that they corrected enough of the issues - so far the only one I've run into is the left hinge breaking, and that took a year and a half to happen, for me.

A co-worker has another of the line and had the solder issue. :) Of course, it was one HP was refusing to acknowledge and it failed just before her warranty was up, so they kept passing her off on support staff after support staff until the warranty was up, and she was out of luck. I offered to replace her Mobo for her if she could foot the cost of a new one, but she got a netbook instead. :)

It's the same for their business line, too. My company has a corporate contract with them to supply pretty much all of our systems (don't know why). As a for instance, one of our developers has had to have her Laptop Mobo replaced 4 times in a little under 2 years! Some of them run fine with no problems ever, but more of them have so many problems.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text there. LOL, get me on a rant about HP... They used to be so good. I like IBM too - we have a few Lenovo Lappys, they're lovely! I've been toying with getting one for my next purchase, but I do so much media work on my system - I only use it for work sometimes. I'm also considering switching to Mac (but don't really want to deal with windows emulators for running our VPN system and office) or possibly even an Alienware... I've heard some interesting things about them. Do you know anything about them?

Attached Thumbnails

• SpaceMonger.jpg
  • SVI.jpg

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Long text... all I can say is "yah"! :)

Ahhh... I see where that extra gig or so is... it's the hibernate file... hiberfil.sys. I assume you know what this is so I won't explain it. Do you like to have hibernate enabled for any reason?

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Long text... all I can say is "yah"! :)

:) Yeah, queen of tl;dr - that's me.

Good question on hibernate. I like standby in case I walk away from the laptop in the middle of something, just to save the LCD. I don't think I really use hibernate, though. I don't travel often and when I do I usually find a plug or don't use the machine for very long... I usually prefer to either put the computer into standby and close the lid or shut down completely when I'm done for a session or the day.

Perhaps I should disable it? Don't know how though - would it be in "power management" in the control panel?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Yah, either Power Options in Control Panel, or through Display Settings>ScreenSaver>Power>Hibernate tab.

By the way, I'm sure you've seen the pop-up from Avira if you updated it. You can disable this by going into the Avira>AntiVir Desktop folder in Programs files and renaming avnotify.exe to avnotify.exe.bak and avnotify.dll to avnotify.dll.bak. You may need to go to Windows Folder Options>View tab, and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" before you do this... check it again when you're done.