Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notebook Replacement Screen

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I have a Dell XPS M170 and I have these vertical lines on my screen. I don't remember bumping or dropping it so I think the screen might be on its last leg. I was wondering if anyone has a good website where I could find a replacement screen for my notebook and was wondering if its difficult to replace myself. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i assume the laptop is no longer under warranty?

the lines showing on the screen...are they always in the same place or do they move around? it sounds a lot more like the video card is going bad than the monitor...usually when an LCD goes bad it either just stops working, or the backlight goes out so the screen is really dim....they usually don't develop odd scan issues like CRTs would (scrolling lines etc...)

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
booting into linux from a live CD would tell you very quickly if it is hardware or software issue here

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

i assume the laptop is no longer under warranty?

the lines showing on the screen...are they always in the same place or do they move around? it sounds a lot more like the video card is going bad than the monitor...usually when an LCD goes bad it either just stops working, or the backlight goes out so the screen is really dim....they usually don't develop odd scan issues like CRTs would (scrolling lines etc...)

Correct the laptop is no longer under wattanty. Yes the lines are always in the same place. Would that mean its the video card?

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

booting into linux from a live CD would tell you very quickly if it is hardware or software issue here

how do I do that?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
OK, you will need a blanc CD and to download the linux ISO, which is free, then burn ISO to the CD using Nero or the like(but not the windows standard burning program as that does not let you make bootable CDs, wonder why) and that's all. Simply, you then boot onto the live CD which loads itself onto your ram drives, not touching your harddrive that is, either way it is very useful for exactly this type of problem because it isn't windows os, it is a different os(operating system0, great for getting data out of crashed windows systems too, malware proof too, or when the harddrive is dead and one needs the Internet, and what's more when you turn off the computer removing the CD, no a trace remains, here a link then

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php