Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost my XP on cold boot

• Please log in to reply

baydog

baydog

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi tried to cold boot my windows XP after freeze up, apparently I lost my driver for video and did not realize untill I started OS restore and deleted files, my OS reboot disk would not work, I realized it was my wifes Vista OS disk! So in looking hi and low for my XP OS disk no luck. When I boot with no disk I get c:/....Any ideas? Love this old system and would like to keep it

Thank You

Mike

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

How did you attempt the restore... with a Vista disk? Vista shouldn't attempt to restore an XP installation... you should have at least gotten a promt stating the OS incompatability. Are you certain the Vista attempt overwrote the XP OS files?

Try continually tapping the F8 key just after you power up the computer. This should hopefully get you to the XP Safe Mode menu. If you get there, try to boot to Safe Mode.

What are your computer specs? Is this an OEM (dell, hp, etc) build or did you build this yourself? If it's OEM, what's the full model number? Also, is this a desktop or laptop?