Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hal.dll issue

• Please log in to reply

hellsangel1

hellsangel1

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Basically, I had lots of problems with my PC and i started a thread here (which for some reason.....i can;t find any longer) and I downloaded a few programs and did a few scans that a friend recommended me. It was found out that my PC was infected with VIRUT and i needed to re-install and re-format. due to exams and various other things i was extremely busy so i decided to do it later.....however , when after a few weeks i logged on to the PC in order to backup my data into an external hard drive.....i got an error which stated that:

'Windows Could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
<Windows root>System32\hal.dll

Please re-install a copy of the above file'

I went to this link to solve the problem :http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=185301251&pgno=2&queryText=&isPrev=

However, after entering Recovery console and at the command line prompt, I type 'bootcfg /rebuild' and then enter as instructed. However, I get an error:

'Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system which would prevent Bootcfg from successfully scanning'

I went to this other link in order to solve the problem :http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/restorehaldll.htm

As instructed, at the command line prompt, I type:

expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll

However, I get an error that 'There is no floppy disk or CD in the drive'.

When I type,

expand c:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll

I get an error that:

'Unable to create file hal.dl
0 file(s) expanded

And when i type,

expand c:\i386\hal.dl_ d:\windows\system32\hal.dll

I get an error that : 'Access is denied'

And when i type,

expand c:\i386\hal.dl_ e:\windows\system32\hal.dll

I also get the same error that 'Access is denied'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

hellsangel1

hellsangel1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok on the You Tube search box I entered:
How to fix- hal.dll is missing or corrupt in windows by Britec.

There is a video presented with 2 solutions on how to solve the problem. I tried the first solution and was greatly relieved to see that it worked. However, when I tried to boot again i got an error that :

Windows Could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
<Windows root>System32\ntoskrnl.exe

I solved the ntoskrnl.exe problem as well by going to this link :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j69K9H87j2s (It did not ask me to overwrite the ntoskrnl.exe but i did get 1 file(s) expanded)

However, at the Windows XP log in screen.....it takes a really looooong time to load and after that i get an error that :

'Autochk program not found - skipping autocheck'

And i'm just unable to log into XP like i used to do. I also tried 'Last Known Good Configuration' but I get the same error.

Could somebody please,please help me??? Should I start a new topic for this 'autochk' problem???