Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I.E. Not Startrting/Auto update not working

• Please log in to reply

Arcbc30

Arcbc30

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,

I have been working through a Virus over in the Malware forumn, after the virus was removed, and I followed all of the cleanup instructions and added some recomended software I started experience the following problems.

1) Auto update is not working. It keeps trying to reinstall the same update over and over again. I was able one time to get I.E. to start so that I could go to teh Microsoft update site- It told me I had one update to install and that it was already downloaded to my computer, all I needed to do was install it. I clicked, it installed, within 15 seconds the auto install was showing in the applications bar, prompting me to install the same update again. There is no error when I install, it goes through and says the install is complete, but within 15 seconds teh update shield pops up again.
This began after the last steps of the virus cleanup at this thread

http://www.geekstogo...-....html&st=15

2) Internet explorer hangs at start up and will not start. This also began after the last steps of the virus removal/ clean up.

You can review the malware thread to see everything that was done. Any help will be appreciated as of right now I have no way to update my computer.

I am running xp media center

Advertisements

brandonhinsz

brandonhinsz

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
if you have access to another computer you might try to dl the IE 7 or 8 setup file to a usb drive - then uninstall from the computer your haveing problems with and reinstall off the flash drive. I had the same problem before and had to do this.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try installing Firefox and see if the problem happens with it. Download it from the link in my signature below.

Arcbc30

Arcbc30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have Firefox and it is my default browser- it works fine. I also installed opera - just to check and it seems to work fine also- its just internet explorer and auto update.