Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downloading from one computer to another

• Please log in to reply

dSilanskas

dSilanskas

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
So I posted a issue I was having with my wife's computer. And I have seen a few people on here with the same issue but I can't seem to fix this computer. She doesn't have a restore point on her computer and she has a lot of baby pictures and I also have job invoices on the computer that we don't want to lose. Now the computer will start up and gets to a point where there is a black screen and the arrow and that is all. It doesn't go further than that. Since I can't seem to fix this problem :-( before I guess I have to reinstall windows is there anyway to download the pictures and job invoices onto my computer? Thank you for all your help

Advertisements

BillSnapWire

BillSnapWire

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
how long did the vista black screen run before you gave up?

dSilanskas

dSilanskas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
A good half hour. I am at wits end :-( we really really don't want to lose the pictures and invoices

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello dSilanskas...

Will the machine boot into Safe Mode?

wannabe1

dSilanskas

dSilanskas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've tried all the options and it boots up the same. After it boots up all I get is a black screen with the arrow. And since she doesn't have a restore point on the computer I am at a total loss

XxFadedxX

XxFadedxX

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well, if you can't save your computer, download Ubuntu, burn it, then boot it. If you don't know how to, there are tutorials on Google. In Ubuntu, mount your drive (you may need to force mount, if you don't know how just Google: Ubuntu force mount). Since I suspect it's just your windows folder that's damaged, you should be able to access the drive in Ubuntu.

If you have a partition on your computer a Windows Vista CD, you may be able to move the files to a parition via the command prompt that comes in the cd.

Did you try putting in the Vista CD and do a repair or restore?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have, or have access to, a Windows XP cd?

dSilanskas

dSilanskas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Do you have, or have access to, a Windows XP cd?

Yes I do have a windows XP cd

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot to the Windows XP cd.

At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to access Recovery Console.

You will be asked to choose the Windows install you'd like to log in to by typing the number that corresponds to it...usually 1...press Enter.

When asked for the Administrator Password, leave it blank and just press Enter. (Unless, of course, you have a password set...then use that.)

When you get to the Recovery Console prompt, type chkdsk /r and press Enter.

This will start a very thorough check of the file system which will attempt to recover any bad sectors. This is a long check...it may a[ppear to hang, or even back up and start again a few times...let it complete.

Once back at the Recovery Console prompt, remove the cd, type exit, and press Enter. Let the machine try to boot normally.

dSilanskas

dSilanskas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I will try that but what I had done before is when I had the vista cd in the drive I went to command promt and typed chkdsk and it scanned the drive. Is that the same thing? because that said there was no errors

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
chkdsk without the /r switch will only check the basic structure of the file system. With the /r switch applied, it does a much more thorough check and actually attempts to recover anything it finds out of place. It also performs additional checks that aren't done without the switch.

dSilanskas

dSilanskas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay I will do that now. But my question is why use a windows XP cd? I have vista

dSilanskas

dSilanskas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I just tried what you said with the windows xp cd. When it asked me for a password I left it blank and hit enter because I don't have one set and it kept saying invald password.

dSilanskas

dSilanskas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay so I got chkdsk/r to run onto the computer. After the test it said something along the lines of "Failed to log information onto the system long 50"