Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why can't i record in audacity!

• Please log in to reply

bountyhunter

bountyhunter

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
why can't i record "what i hear" in audacity?

the options of selecting what to record is greyed out...

http://i265.photobuc...cantirecord.jpg

Thanks for the help in advance

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
There are known bugs in version 1.3.9 if that's the one you are using. Also, the problem with Vista that you have may be related to:

Why doesn't the Mixer Toolbar input selector work properly, for example on Windows Vista?

Cannot Record
Cannot Record Audio in Audacity

May have some help here: Tips

HTHs,

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This issue is usually caused because Vista is using a generic driver for audio.
You need to replace this with a driver specifically for your audio device, and you can get this typically from the board manufacturer since all boards now come with onboard sound devices.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Think that's what they said at Audacity's forum, but you stated it better, Neil. :)

bountyhunter

bountyhunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

you can get this typically from the board manufacturer

If my laptop is a Lenovo laptop, how do i go to the manufacturer of my board and dl the new drivers?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

you can get this typically from the board manufacturer

If my laptop is a Lenovo laptop, how do i go to the manufacturer of my board and dl the new drivers?

In the majority of cases for a laptop you go to the laptop manufacturer site. In your case, IBM's website.

bountyhunter

bountyhunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Can you point me in the direction of a step by step guide on how to upgrade the specific drivers needed to record "what i hear" in audacity? When i tried to go to IBM's main website, i really have a hard time finding out how to even get to the drivers page, if there is one, in addition i have difficulty in knowing exactly what the technical specs are of my laptop to make sure i download the correct drivers.

Edited by bountyhunter, 15 September 2009 - 07:16 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
I don't mean to be rude but we know nothing about your laptop or its model name/variant so we cannot tell you where to go to get the driver you need.
What is the model name and number of your IBM laptop please? It's usually printed either on the laptop's bottom or just below the main screen.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Updating Sound Device Drivers
Managing Computer Resources and Drivers

Quoted from another forum that member fixed own problem:

I finally fixed it!! As I had changed to a more stable version of Audacity, as opposed to beta, I finally changed the bit rate and sample rate...for some reason, on this version, I have to run the bit rate at 16 and 44100, as opposed to 32 bit float and 48000..if that makes any sense. I then had a hollow slight echo sound, which won't do for V O auditions, so I found realtek and adjusted the room to padded cell, and I also adjusted something else under preferences to 128, I believe, and unchecked a box saying enviroment??? It had these settings before with beta, no problem It's just been trial and error. I have a feeling all of this extra hassle is because Vista still has some kinks maybe?? Thank you. Maybe I can finally get some work done around here.

May or may not help. :)