Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstall Windows XP Pro?

• Please log in to reply

jgallinzx

jgallinzx

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,

I am replacing my main hard-drive and am keeping my current one to be used as a slave. I have two queries:-

1. Can I remove Windows from the slave. and without formatting, have it so when I boot it doesn't ask me to choose between OS (Bearing in mind that they would both be called Microsoft Windows XP Professional)

2. Also there are programs installed on the slave already, do I have to move these to my new drive (master) to be able to run them or can I continue to run these without windows

Thanks in advance,

Julie

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not sure what you are attempting to do here.
If you are replacing your existing drive why not just clone the original to the new one.
Then format the old one and you are up and running?

jgallinzx

jgallinzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
The old hard drive is 40GB partitioned in half giving me two drives of 20GB. The new one is 80GB and don't want to fill up the new drive too much unless I really have to.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so if I'm understanding this correctly.
Old drive partition C is the OS system
Old drive partition D is the Data and programs

Is this correct?

jgallinzx

jgallinzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yep that's exactly right :-)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get HDClone Free Edition enables you to move the content from an entire ATA/SATA hard drive to another, larger one. The program installs itself on a bootable floppy or CD, and include it`s own operating system, so it runs completely independent from Windows. Once HDClone has created the bootable floppy or CD for you, you can use it to boot your computer and copy the drive content to the new (installed) drive, using a graphical interface. The free version is perfectly suitable to upgrade your existing drive to a larger one. It supports IDE/ATA/SATA hard disks and is able to copy up to 300 MB/min. The latest version now supports USB mouse and keyboard as well as USB 1.1 drives.
unplug your computer from the wall...install the new drive...connect the data and power connectors...plug the system to the wall again...boot from the floppy or hdclone cd and select the drive to drive option
your new drive will be exactly like the drive you now have but with more free space...
once you have cloned the drive ...unplug computer from the wall and disconnect the old drive completely plug back in to the wall and fire it up...
I have attached the pdf manual