Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA Hard drive not recognised

• Please log in to reply

bg9208

bg9208

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just recently bought a 500GB WD HDD but when I plug in my PC does not recognise it. My Mobo has SATA- RAID controllers installed and enabled according to my BIOS, controlled by VIA8237. With the Mobo came a supplementary floppy with VIA SATA RAID Driver VT6420/VTY8237 but it does not install anything and there appear to be no .inf files.
The enabled SATA driver shows on Device Manager but just says not working code(10).
Any suggestions where I go from here please?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Did you format the drive? Go to Start>run... type in diskmgmt.msc , click OK. Does the drive show up as "Raw"? If so, you need to format it, or Windows won't recognize it.

bg9208

bg9208

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Unfortunately diskmgmt only recognises my two existing IDE drives so not possible to access the drive at all.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You didn't answer this question...

Did you format the drive?

By the way, raid drivers are only used when installing raid. If you're not running raid, then you don't need the driver... XP doesn't require it just because you have a SATA hard drive.