Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple XP Issues - freezing, power cycling, error msgs

• Please log in to reply

icandefy

icandefy

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
First off, I would just like to say thank you in advance for the help! I will try my best to fully describe the issues I'm having.

For the longest time, my computer ran fine and did not seem slow whatsoever but whenever I burned a CD/DVD using NERO, after the burn finished and I closed NERO no matter what program I tried to open or even if I attempted a restart or shutdown the computer would freeze and I would have to do a hard reset to get it back up and running. It was acting this was for so long I can't even remember when it originally started. I just dealt with it and tried to use iTunes or Media Player to burn when possible which seemed to avoid this issue.

Last week, I was in the middle of mixing (I use my computer as a DAW running SONAR with an Aardvark Q10 PCi to breakout box audio interface) and for reasons unknown to me, the computer just power cycled on it's own as if I had pressed the reset button. I let it boot up and as soon as windows came up, it froze. I did a hard reset again, same result. The third time it booted up and instead of freezing produced an error about memory dump exception fault related to my Linksys PCi wireless adapter software. I have a freestanding wireless access point, so I uninstalled the Linksys PCi card, software and drivers and hooked up to the access point which requires no drivers or software to be installed on the PC. This seemed to remedy the freezing issue at the moment, but I'm still not sure what caused the self power-cycling. After all this, the computer seemed slower and still occasionaly froze a couple times. I researched causes and decided to target the memory first. I download the Microsoft memory testing software and tested my memory with all the the deepest, most taxing testing options it had. The memory passed the test so then I turned to the registry. I purchased JV16 Power Tools 2009 after reading countless reviews and reccomendations on various sites that swore by it's ability to be safe and effective. I cleaned the registry in safe mode which doesn't scan or touch any part of the registry related to Windows itself and made backups of everything.

That brings me to now. I'm still occasionally freezing requiring a hard reset. The computer seems VERY sluggish. Today I came home to find two fatal errors from Apple Software Updater and my Norton Antivirus which are 2 self-running background programs. I have no idea why my computer sitting at idle would just have these errors. I have scanned for viruses and malware and came up clean.

I've had this computer for years and the registry and list of software that has been installed is pretty lengthy. I realize that whoever decides to help me and tackle this may be embarking on a long journey with me, and I wholeheartedly appreciate it. I just want to know for 100% certain that my computer is in tip-top shape with no errors, registry issues, or hardware/software conflicts and is running at peak performance.

Thank you again.
-Eric

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi Eric :)

Few things ?I would like to point out in 1 particular sentence:

I purchased JV16 Power Tools 2009 after reading countless reviews and reccomendations on various sites that swore by it's ability to be safe and effective. I cleaned the registry in safe mode which doesn't scan or touch any part of the registry related to Windows itself and made backups of everything.

Here at GeeksToGo we do not advise the use of registry cleaners. They are - regardless of the good reviews - dangerous for the system. Them changes files that could leave your system unbootable and in a real mess.
Also anything they remove will be of the smallest unnoticeable size leaving any difference to the PC merely phycological.

Now after that we can begin :)

Please download VEW and save it to your Desktop:

Setting up the program
Double-click VEW.exe then under Select log to query, select:
  • Application
  • System
Under Select type to list, select:
  • Critical (Vista only)
  • Error
  • Click the radio button for Number of events
  • Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
  • Then click the Run button.
  • Notepad will open with the output log.
Load the log
  • In Notepad, click Edit > Select all
  • Then press Edit > Copy
  • Press Ctrl+V on your keyboard to paste the log to your next reply.

Also as a closing question do you still have the original Windows disk that came with the PC? If so I feel you could maybe run sfc:
We are going to scan your system for broken/ missing system files.
  • Click Start then select run , then press enter. A run window will open
  • type in cmd then press enter. Another window will open
  • type in sfc then press enter. Another window will open
  • type in sfc /scannow then press enter ( notice the space between the (sfc & /)
Now a scan will start , have your Windows XP disk ready. If your PC asks for the disc insert the CD into your CD Drive. When the scan is finished you will need to close the cd and all open windows , then remove the CD.
Then post back with the results.

icandefy

icandefy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
OK, here is the VEW report:

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows XP in English
Report run at 17/09/2009 2:49:19 AM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 17/09/2009 2:30:06 AM
Type: error Category: 3
Event: 3013 Source: Windows Search Service
The entry <C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ERIC\START MENU\PROGRAMS\CYBERLINK POWERDVD\UNINSTALL POWERDVD.LNK> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x8007001f)

The entry <C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ERIC\START MENU\PROGRAMS\CYBERLINK POWERDVD\UNINSTALL POWERDVD.LNK> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ERIC\START MENU\PROGRAMS\CYBERLINK POWERDVD\READ ME.LNK> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ERIC\START MENU\PROGRAMS\CYBERLINK POWERDVD\READ ME.LNK> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ERIC\START MENU\PROGRAMS\CYBERLINK POWERDVD\SYSTEM DIAGNOSIS.LNK> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ERIC\START MENU\PROGRAMS\CYBERLINK POWERDVD\SYSTEM DIAGNOSIS.LNK> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ERIC\START MENU\PROGRAMS\CYBERLINK POWERDVD\ONLINE REGISTRATION.LNK> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ERIC\START MENU\PROGRAMS\CYBERLINK POWERDVD\ONLINE REGISTRATION.LNK> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ERIC\START MENU\PROGRAMS\CYBERLINK POWERDVD\POWERDVD HELP FILE.LNK> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ERIC\START MENU\PROGRAMS\CYBERLINK POWERDVD\POWERDVD HELP FILE.LNK> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ERIC\START MENU\PROGRAMS\CYBERLINK POWERDVD\CYBERLINK POWERDVD.LNK> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

The entry <C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ERIC\START MENU\PROGRAMS\CYBERLINK POWERDVD\CYBERLINK POWERDVD.LNK> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Details:

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/09/2009 4:18:47 AM

Details:

Details:

Details:

Details:

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/09/2009 4:18:46 AM

Details:

Details:

Details:

Details:

'System' Log - error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 17/09/2009 1:10:51 AM
Type: error Category: 0
Event: 10010 Source: DCOM
The server {1F87137D-0E7C-44D5-8C73-4EFFB68962F2} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 16/09/2009 11:33:35 AM
Event: 59 Source: SideBySide
Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Documents and Settings\ERiC\Local Settings\Application Data\Tific\Download\.hsie2010.exe. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully. .

Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC90.CRT. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system. .

Event: 32 Source: SideBySide
Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 16/09/2009 4:29:06 AM
Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Documents and Settings\ERiC\Local Settings\Application Data\Tific\Download\.hsie2010.exe. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully. .

Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC90.CRT. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system. .

Event: 32 Source: SideBySide
Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 16/09/2009 4:11:44 AM
Event: 11 Source: Disk
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\D.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 12/09/2009 2:58:17 AM
Type: error Category: 102
Event: 1003 Source: System Error
Error code 1000000a, parameter1 038a646b, parameter2 0000001c, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 804fb03c.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 12/09/2009 2:58:13 AM
Error code 1000000a, parameter1 00000010, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 805172d6.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 12/09/2009 2:58:08 AM
Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 8063741b, parameter3 a95e7894, parameter4 00000000.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 12/09/2009 2:52:47 AM
Event: 7000 Source: Service Control Manager
The Aardvark Professional Audio Service service failed to start due to the following error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 11/09/2009 1:33:19 AM
The Aardvark Professional Audio Service service failed to start due to the following error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 10/09/2009 11:31:31 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 09/09/2009 10:24:09 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 09/09/2009 10:18:20 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 09/09/2009 9:10:36 PM

I noticed there are entries in there regarding Cyberlink DVD. An issue I was experiencing with that was that I was simply trying to delete the Cyberlink DVD folder from my Start Menu (not the program itself, just the folder) and it would delete but then re-appear upon reboot. Also just an FYI in case you're like what the heck is Aardvark, Aardvark is the manufacturer of the Q10 audio interface I mentioned in my initial post. I believe those errors were generated due to the fact that it fried when the computer power cycled.

I also ran SFC as you said. It did ask for my Windows CD. I inserted it and hit "Retry" and it progressed through but several times along the way the same 'insert CD' pop-up came up even though the CD was already in the drive. When I hit retry it would keep progressing, however and did complete. I ran it twice, once with the CD in my internal CD drive and once with the CD in my external USB CD drive. It did the same thing both times.

Thank you!

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi :)

In terms of the SFC scan, what sort of windows disk do you have? For example is it an actual Windows disk or is it a manufacturers?

Have a look at This Article. There are a few steps on there I would like you to try and see if you can get anywhere. There is a The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\D error on the drive so we could do to get it working.

Please download Autoruns from HERE
  • Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to your Desktop.
    (Right click and choose Extract All)
  • Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
  • Click on the "Everything" tab
  • Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
  • Go to File then to Export As.
  • Save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
  • Attach to your next reply
Your Cyberlink install seems pretty messy now. After I get the autoruns log we may have to think about reinstalling it.

As for the Aardvark error, does the device still work? If not then I will post steps to remove it in my next reply.

:)

Edited by rev_olie, 17 September 2009 - 03:46 AM.

icandefy

icandefy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
For the SFC, I have a Microsoft XP disc. I tried the auggestions from the article you linked to and that worked like a charm as SFC completed without requesting the CD.

I ran AutoRuns, deleted all the File Not Found's and attached the report to this post.

I think I'm actually just going to uninstall Cyberlink DVD. I never use it.

The Aardvark was cooked and no longer worked but I have sinced removed it and it's software, drivers and registry entries.

Awaiting your direction,
Thanks again!

Attached Files

Edited by icandefy, 17 September 2009 - 03:21 PM.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Ok,

great work following the instructions :)

Has the system restarted recently? Or is it getting better?

Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

• Adobe Reader Speed Launcher
  • Adobe_ID0ENQBO Adobe Version Cue CS4
  • AdobeCS4ServiceManager Adobe CS4 Service
  • AppleSyncNotifier AppleSyncNotifier 
  • Getting started with MacDrive 8 Get Started with MacDrive 
  • iTunesHelper Module
  • LanguageShortcut
  • MacDrive 8
  • QuickTime
Then restart your PC.

Edited by rev_olie, 17 September 2009 - 03:52 PM.

icandefy

icandefy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey there. Sorry for the delay, busy week! So I unchecked everything you reccomended to uncheck, except MacDrive 8 because I use that.

The computer seems to be very stable now, no more rebooting or freezing. It does however still feel slightly bogged down to me, but I guess I have no real reference to judge that.

If you have any other ideas, let me know! Thanks again.

-Eric