Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help and advice for building a computer for mom!

• Please log in to reply

staticbabble

staticbabble

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I have embarked on a mission to make a new computer for my mom.
SO mostly I am looking for advice and opinions.

She has a small entertainment center with a large hd tv.
Thats the basic drive behind it, something small to connect to the tv.
It needs to do word processing and surf the web, some small image viewing thats it.

Her HDTV has a VGA input, is that good enough? Or should I look into a graphics card with a better out?

Now I have been looking at brand new things. I however do have like 4 pentium4 dells
that if I can fit in a small groovy case I would like to.

Here are a couple of things I have been looking at.

Net top
*** Found this deal on amazon
Intel D945GCLF Essential Series Mini-ITX DDR2 667 Intel Graphics Integrated Atom Processor Desktop Board
Kingston KVR667D2N5/2G 2GB 667MHz DDR II 240-pin CL5 DIMM Memory Module Apex MI-100 4BAY Desktop Blk/Silver 250W ATX12V Mitx
Price For All Three: $156.18

I also like the HP Pavilion Slimline s5100z series
Its something decent for $300 or so.

I just got one of those slim line cases of ebay to use now.

SO i know its kinda vague but basically I explained whats needed and I need to keep it cheap so bare minimum is great.

Edited by staticbabble, 17 September 2009 - 02:53 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome, sorry for the delay.

Are you still chasing help on this?

As I see it, you're looking for a basic living room PC to connect to the HDTV? Will you be using the computer at all for processing high definition content to the TV at all?

Troy

staticbabble

staticbabble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
SORRY IT TOOK ME SO LONG TO REPLY!

No processing of oh HD content at all that i could think of
she just wants to be able to surf the web in her living room on her tv.
Type some songs of her boyfriends on word and look at pictures.

I have a sata 160 G hard drive that fit in a slimline case I bought with a built in card reader. So im at that point.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
What kind of "small groovy" case are you thinking? All you would need is a most basic system, I'd be looking at a mini-ITX system so it fits in a nice small case and looks good in the loungeroom.

Do some research on mini-ITX and tell me what you think.

staticbabble

staticbabble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have been looking into that a bit I was trying to see if I could use this HP slimline case I got for $7, I believe its Micro itx form factor? I have a hard drive that was sata and fit in there. The size of this case looks good she is fine with it. I believe i can put a "Intel D945GCLF Essential Series Mini-ITX" or are micro and mini different. I understand form factors basically and it looks like the same mount on the inside of the case.

I gotta keep this cheap so it doesn't break me.

Edited by staticbabble, 24 September 2009 - 09:29 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Usually you'll find that the larger cases also support the smaller form factors as well...

Where did you get the information from that you can fit it in this case you have? Got some links for me to check out these items?