Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer cannot be turned on

• Please log in to reply

Karin_bs

Karin_bs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I have an old computer, its maybe 6 years old. Where I live the power grid is not very reliable - many outages, and Im guessing also power surges. Some time ago it suddenly stopped responding when I try turning it on. The front light would go on for a split-second, and the CPU vent would start working, but both would go off again immediately. Rarely I do manage to turn it on, and it loads and works OK, not countign all the virus and malware problems. But usually it wont.

I am not a computer dolt, but I am not very knowlegeable when it comes to hardware, so I would very much appreciate any help you could give me. How can determine what the problem is?

Thank you very much,
Karin.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What sort of machine is it? What brand and model number please?
Certain brands of machine tend to last about four years and then cook themselves to death.
It's most likely a defective power supply.