Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Memory stick ID's in Plug'n'Play as CD player?

• Please log in to reply

Frank Stein

Frank Stein

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have one I have never heard of.

While fixing one of our home computers I used two memory sticks to keep and move files between computers.

The operation was a full wipe and redo of the one computer, it is done and working fine.

The memory sticks are not.

When I put them in any of our three computers they come up in the plug n play as CD drives and ask for me to insert a CD???

This does not happen with other memory sticks I have in the house, they all come up on all three computers as they are supposed to.

What can cause this?

As background: while reformating the one computer I also cleaned up my son's computer.
On his I found two trojans and a reg problem. The trojans were swizzer and agent. The reg issue was an open reg edit.
All of this is gone now and I have clean scans on all computers from Malaware, Panda and the HJTs seem tight.

So could those trojans/reg edit have been the cause for this odd problem where plug-n-play misidentifies the two sticks as CD drives?

And more importantly, is there a way to get into the sticks and recover them?
1. the files most importantly
2. use of the sticks would be nice (though I think my trust will be weak with them no matter what)

I have no idea how to try and "see" inside the sticks when PnP aborts entry and lists them as CD drives? How do I get around that? Is there a way to put them in, have them remain unidentified as to type, and then explore their contents?

Is there some tool that will fix whatever has occurred (assuming I am not the first...)

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Advertisements

dave04045

dave04045

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well, it's pretty simple actually. When you cleaned the computers, the driver was probably erased. What kind of memory stick was it? It was most likely a SanDisk, correct?

Frank Stein

Frank Stein

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
They are "relay" from Staples.

dave04045

dave04045

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok, I need you to go to device manager for me.
In case you don't know how to, Start-> Right Click My Computer->Properties->Hardware Tab->Device Manager.
Tell me exactly what you see. In the meantime, I will look for a driver for the device.

Frank Stein

Frank Stein

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
they also have an id on them U3 Smart?

Frank Stein

Frank Stein

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I see a list of equipment types. There is a USB section within this there are a host of hubs and controllers

dave04045

dave04045

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
If it is possible, try and locate what section the Memory Stick is located under

Frank Stein

Frank Stein

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I do not find an entry for memory stick, or removable devices. I do find one for storage devices that is separate from the hard drives and cd/dvd drive entries. I also find a usb controller entry

Frank Stein

Frank Stein

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I also have an entry to non plug 'n play but none for plug 'n play

dave04045

dave04045

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok First,
Go back to Device Manager. Are there any devices with yellow question marks next to them? It will most likely be under CD Drives. When you have located that, right click it and click uninstall. Click yes to the next open window. Then right click any device and click scan for hardware changes. Tell me the results of that

Advertisements

Frank Stein

Frank Stein

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks Dave,
Okay, so dumb that I am I did nbot have it plugged in so it was not listed. When I plug in it shows under disk drives as "Relay UFD USB Device" when I clik on it, it asks me to insert a disk into the drive?

dave04045

dave04045

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
does it say in the upper left hand corner: Add New Hardware Wizard?

Frank Stein

Frank Stein

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks Dave,
I do have yellow Q marks under for the section header "Other Devices" and the sub-section to that "PCI simple communications controller" That sub-section yellow Q mark also has a RED X through it.

So - Do I
delete the RElay UFD in disk drives or the yellow Q's

dave04045

dave04045

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
don't worry about the yellow qs for now. But yes, delete the Relay UFD

Frank Stein

Frank Stein

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
the relay ufd on right click has "update driver", disable, uninstall, scan for hardware changes, and properties - inside properties has tabs for general policies details drivers volumes