Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb problems

• Please log in to reply

abrahams child

abrahams child

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
a while back i was having virus problems and i did a repair to my operating system which is xp but now i'm having problems having the xp recognize any usb device i plug in. do i need to do a complete reinstall? thank you.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what do you mean you did a repair? did you actually format and reinstall? or just a repair install?

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
thank you for the reply but i think i may have fixed the problem. i shut down the sytem and completly unplugged it from the power source and let it sit that way for about 15 minutes. then i restarted in the safe mode and went to device manager and uninstalled items under universal serial bus controlers. i then restarted my computer which xp found new hardware and installed drivers for the serial bus. i plugged in my mp3 device and it said we were connected again. hurray!!!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you should probably still take a trip through the malware forum since you didn't specify what you actually did to remove your "virus"

Please read the Malware/Spyware cleaning guide here follow the instructions at the top....

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post an OTL log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting OTL logs or ANY other logs requested in the malware/spyware cleaning guide in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post any of these logs in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread..

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
i was not saying that i removed any virus. i thought that this may have led to the problem i was having with my usb port. i did resolve a virus issue previously with the help of the virus, spyware, trojan removal procedures from this web site but xp was not working properly and i did a repair off my xp disk. i use "super antispyware software" frequently to monitor my computer and make sure programs like adobe are updated to block access through these programs against invasions. i believe now that i should have asked why does my usb work any longer. i did a google on this issue and proceeded with the recommendation on a mircosoft help and fixed the usb so that it now operates and recognizes my mp3 player. do you really think i should continue with your recommendations to further pursue further issues?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no...if you got cleaned up here you should be fine

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
thank you for all your help.

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
i have a question, when the usb port was fixed i plugged in a mp3 player and it updated the firmware etc. when that was finished it said i could increase my usb speed but it checked my sytem and said that i needed to add a hi-speed usb host controller to obtain maximum perfromace. how is this accomplished?