Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista 32bit Motherboard or graphicscard gone bad?

• Please log in to reply

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I was using my Dell Xps 1710 watching a movie when all of the sudden the screen turned into what looked like someone had smashed the screen with a hammer, with the triangles and what looked like cracks in it. I turned off the computer and turned it back on only to have it happen again. I first thought it was a corrupted video file until It started doing it even when I wasn't watching a video. It eventually on the start up of windows would not be a sold black screen with the windows logo in the back it would have green lines vertically through the screen, and would blue screen eventually. After that point it only ever worked in safe mode and would otherwise blue screen and restart.
My IT friend told me to run diagnostics to which i found out that my Video memory test failed. I assumed it was the graphics card and tried downgrading the drivers but it still did the same thing. He then suggested that I had fried my motherboard. I am at a loss as to what to do. I have tried reformatting the computer but now it just gets to the last step and blue screens again, and when it tried to go through the process it says "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encounters and unexpected error. Windows install cannot proceed. Restart to install." This comes up every time I try to finish it. I hope someone is able to give me an idea of what I can look for or even try, to get this laptop working, it is only 2 years old and a great gaming computer, with a long life ahead of it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comp Specs:
# System: Dell XPS M1710 (Red color lid)
# Processor: Intel Core Duo T2600 (2.16 GHz)
# Memory: 2GB @ 667MHz - 2 DIMM Slots (2 x 1GB) (Max Ram 4GB)
# Hard Drive: 100GB capacity at a speed of 7200 RPM
# Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX with 512MB DDR memory
# Screen: WUXGA Truelife (1920 x 1200)
# Optical Drive: 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW/+R) with Dual-Layer
# OS: Microsoft MCE 2005
# Wireless Card: Intel 3945 (802.11b/g)
# Battery: 9-cell lithium ion recharegable battery
# Ports / Slots: 5-in-1 Memory Card Reader, DVI-D, VGA video output, S-Video, IEEE 1394 (Firewire), 6 USB 2.0, Express Card slot, Modem, Ethernet/LAN, Microphone in, Headphone out
# Integrated Subwoofer

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Video memory is part of the mainboard. So realistically it's not fixable. If it's under extended warranty, use said warranty.

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Sadly It is not still under warranty, Would geek squad or Firedog be able to fix it or is it one of those breaks where It would be more worth my while to just get a new laptop?

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Bump for more help!!!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Get a quote if that's what you want.
But you'll probably find it's not economically viable.