Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with a usb to sata/ide adapter

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Made the mistake of buying an off-brand usb to sata/ide adapter. Off-brand because I have no idea who made it. It is a usb to sata/ide adapter, model ada-2020-D.

Here is my problem: After hook up, I can not find the device on my computer.

When I attach the device to my computer via usb, the lights on the device come on. However, after powering up the harddrive with the attached power supply, I can not find that attached storage device.

Does any body have a clue as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Joe

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
One of these?
http://www.pacificge...ct.asp?id=63273

Manufacturer listed as Olevia.

The adaptor itself probably won't show up on the computer outside of Device Manager. If you go into Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Disk Management does your hard drive appear there?

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Mr Jones,

No it does not. Have looked in My Computer, Disk Management, Windows Explorer. I can not find it. Checked the Olevia website. As usual for me, no info about this adapter. Only products they have links to are tvs. Have left e-mail to see about support.

Edited by tjmcs, 19 September 2009 - 02:53 PM.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Ok, guys

Update on problem.

Tried to get support from Olevia. There is no support. Support personel I have been in contact with are in Hong Kong and can not help me. They sent me to a non-existant US support division. Non-existant because no phone number that works and no web contact. All links are DEAD. Then, I found Olevia has filed for bankruptsy and has closed some offices.

inapaler

inapaler

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
OMG!
get a new one with good quality...
I will not problem myself with that product.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I bought one of these adapters, which are very useful, and had 3 replaced during the 1 year guarantee period.

Timelord68

Timelord68

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Make sure your IDE drive your hooking up is set to MASTER (or stand alone) on the jumper setting. It will NOT work if set to CSEL or SLAVE. If this does not work, or the drive is SATA then there is a problem with the USB port or the DRIVE. Good Luck

akivah613

akivah613

• Pip
  • 1 posts
just bought one-icannot find x64 drivers to add using hdwwiz search command in win 7--it does not even recognize eve though advertised as usb plug and play. All drivers are for old 32bit OSand will not install.
any ideas?