Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

verye slow internet after adding computer to router

• Please log in to reply

EricaL

EricaL

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi all
I hope someone can help me. I just got an email from my brother in law who is serving over seas.
I'm posting his email here to you so that maybe someone can give me some advice to share with him. I tried pointing him to this site so he can do this all himself but they can't seem to access you guys. Here's what he has to say. I've deleted a few lines that have nothing at all to do with the problem.

but anyways, here is the situation. over here in Kuwait, we live in tents. there is 5 of us in a tent. one does not have a computer. a little while ago, there were 3 of us that bought into an internet deal. all together it was $934 for the entire year. when we got the internet and set up the router, the internet was REALLY fast. 3 of us on our own router.
anyways, once we got everything all hooked up, the 4th person saw how fast it was and decided he wanted to buy in. he did so and our net was slightly bothered buy it. over the few weeks, it has gotten EXTREMELY slow to where it makes us think that buying this was a complete waste of money. apparently, this guy knows computers and says he has been INTO the router from his computer. i dont know what he has done to it, but i think sinse he got a deal on the internet, he is severely SCREWING the rest of us. about a week ago, the net went down and we turned to him for help. he came to my computer and put in a completely different password for the router and also changed the encryption on it. which brings me to believe that he made HIS computer the "host" and we are running through him. there is no way for me to tell though. i dont know how. if he "did" do this, would he be able to screw us all out of the internet to where we barely get anything. his video calls NEVER freeze, his net is ALWAYS fast, and we are hanging in the dust wondering What the.... i have tried going into my computer and "probing" around and look at things but i am afraid to change anything and REALLY mess things up. the hamster in his cage of a brain can only run so fast. i was also wondering if this is happening, is there any possible way to fix it by going through my computer. we really dont want to confront him about it, cuz who knows how he will react and what he could do. i have looked under the shared networks and maps. the map only shows from ( my laptop-router-internet). if he was the Host computer would the map show ( my laptop- his laptop as host- router- then the internet)?

So any ideas what I can tell him to do to help him out?

Advertisements