Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Won't Turn On

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yes, please let us know.

I talked to a buddy of mine today. He is convinced that it is your power supplies (yes plural). He is under the belief that both of them must not be totally working properly. He sounded very sure of himself when I described your case. Why would the other PSU be working in your brothers system though? I don't know...

So let us know how it goes, I'm very interested as this will help me and others learn.

Thanks!

J.R.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try clearing your CMOS... look in your mobo manual to see where the jumper is.
This worked for me many times when computers refuse to POST.

But your PSU is probably the problem here.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I mentioned that too him. That particular board (I have the same one) has an onboard clear cmos button located on the board and one on the rear i/o ports. I'd have to take a close look, but I don't know if this board has a jumper or not. lol

HelpPlease2009

HelpPlease2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I did originally clear the CMOS which did not solve the problem.

Ok, so new update. Gave the computer to my father who took it to his friend, his friend plugged the computer in and it loads, great. He calls me an hour and a half later and says, "hmmm it's been over an hour and your computer is still on, what was the problem again?". I told him, but it was around 5pm so his friend went home and decided to leave the computer on over night. Computer stayed on for 24 hours no problem and now it is back in my room, plugged in and working with absolutely no problem...

Kind of confused as to what to do right now, it is very strange that it would not even turn on and now all the sudden it is as good as new... I guess the PSU is fine? Any ideas as to what could have caused the problem so I could address it? Any tests I should run?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
The best test is just use the computer how you normally would and just see how it goes.

It's always a good policy to "Don't fix what ain't broken". Right? This especially applies to drivers. A lot of gamers update and keep their video card drivers current, but besides that, just leave stuff alone. :)

Not related, but did you ever get your networking or internet problem solved?

EDIT: You need to go back into the BIOS and set your settings again, clearing the CMOS should have set everything back to defaults. And it just dawned on me, could that of been the problem? Is your RAM not stable when you set it to the 1600mhz xmp profile 1? I wonder.

Set your RAM to what it is supposed to run at(1600mhz), and see how it goes. Leave all the other settings alone, even the "extra" screens. Let me know if anything happens, we could run memtest86+ and check the RAM.

Edited by Ferrari, 26 September 2009 - 12:35 PM.