Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE not working properly.

• Please log in to reply

jcarissimo

jcarissimo

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi all - I'm trying to help my cousin troubleshoot her PC problem. Every time she double-click's Internet Explorer she gets the following message:

"Cannot find 'file:///C:/Program%20Files/AOL%20Toolbar/welcome.html'. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct."

I've tried to fix it by doing the following:
- Installed, updated and run McAfee Anti-virus
- Uninstalled & Reinstalled AOL(all items)
- Uninstalled & Reinstalled Internet Explorer

I was pretty confident that this combination of changes would fix it - but I was wrong... Not sure what else to try here. I hope someone can recommend a fix - other than the obvious like removing IE all together.

Thanks in advance for your help,
jcarissimo

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> select AOL Toolbar -> Uninstall.

Also, you don't need the AOL software at all full stop if you connect via a broadband router. Never mind what AOL tell you.
A USB modem is a slightly different kettle of fish but still you don't need the shell.

jcarissimo

jcarissimo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thank you, but I tried that already(removing the aol toolbar). But that didn't work either.

She has DSL from Verizon. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Thank you,
jcarissimo

shreemaya

shreemaya

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi all - I'm trying to help my cousin troubleshoot her PC problem. Every time she double-click's Internet Explorer she gets the following message:

"Cannot find 'file:///C:/Program%20Files/AOL%20Toolbar/welcome.html'. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct."

I've tried to fix it by doing the following:
- Installed, updated and run McAfee Anti-virus
- Uninstalled & Reinstalled AOL(all items)
- Uninstalled & Reinstalled Internet Explorer

I was pretty confident that this combination of changes would fix it - but I was wrong... Not sure what else to try here. I hope someone can recommend a fix - other than the obvious like removing IE all together.

Thanks in advance for your help,
jcarissimo

Go to Start -> Run -> type " regedit"
Navigate to the location
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
Then change the value for " First Homepage " to someother homepage like http://www.microsoft.com.
This should fix your problem