Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck on acquiring IP Address

• Please log in to reply

Pizzado

Pizzado

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am trying to connect to my wireless network with a second computer, but I am having some problems.

Netgear wgr614 router
d-link wireless-g usb adapter wua1340
Windows XP Pro

Working with a fresh install of the OS, with the newest drivers. The device is working properly and connecting to the proper wireless network, but never resolves an IP address. Manually setting an IP address does not work, nor does it show up in ipconfig. Please let me know what I am missing to get my network working.

Thanks.

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
your internet router might be setup with wireless security (WEP, WPA or similar security). If so, you'll need to know and enter the security key to be able to access the router and ultimately the internet.

Pizzado

Pizzado

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

your internet router might be setup with wireless security (WEP, WPA or similar security). If so, you'll need to know and enter the security key to be able to access the router and ultimately the internet.

Right. I have entered the correct security keys, and I am getting the device to connect to the router but the connection never acquires a usable IP address and keeps trying to do so.

I ran ipconfig again, and I am now able to see the IP address which I manually entered after turning off DHCP. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Mr.Friend

Mr.Friend

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello,

Who is the maker of your laptop? Usually with Windows XP, some manufacturers got their own Wireless Utility to connect to the wireless network.

By any chance do you know how to remove your preffered networks? If so, kindly remove all of them and then do a restart on your laptop. Reconnect to your wireless network and make sure you typed in the password correctly.

:)

Pizzado

Pizzado

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hello,

Who is the maker of your laptop? Usually with Windows XP, some manufacturers got their own Wireless Utility to connect to the wireless network.

It is actually a desktop, manufactured by Dell. I did not install the wireless utility provided by dlink with the USB adapter, and I downloaded and installed only the latest driver. I did not however, install the driver for the on-board network adapter, could that present any problems?

By any chance do you know how to remove your preffered networks? If so, kindly remove all of them and then do a restart on your laptop. Reconnect to your wireless network and make sure you typed in the password correctly.

:)

I do not know how to remove the preferred networks, but I know that I did enter the correct password because I am connecting to the network. I can run the router admin functions from this computer and see the other computer connect, but it never acquires an IP address.

Pizzado

Pizzado

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Here is a picture of the router setup screen, showing the two connected computers and one computer which is connected but with no IP address.

Attached Thumbnails

• Router.PNG

Edited by Pizzado, 27 September 2009 - 12:06 PM.