Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How much should I charge?

• Please log in to reply

Nilla

Nilla

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hello,

I have been hired to create a business website for a distant relative. I am making this website from scratch. I will mostly use PHP and MySQL. I don't think it will take longer than 2 weeks or so to complete the project on my own. I have built sites in the past when I was contracted by other companies but this is my first time doing it on my own. I don't know what to charge. A min/max estimate was requested and I don't know where to even begin. I don't want to out bid myself and over charge but I don't want to short myself either. Like I said its a distant relative and my first "solo" project so I would like to offer a good deal.

Any advice?
Thanks!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry. Against Terms of Service to discuss financial payment for services since this is not directly related to Web Development problems. You could Google or use any good search engine to find that information. I will just say...have a good iron clad contract. Relative or not. Sample contract forms are also available on the Internet.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
When we set prices in a leather shop, we factor in overhead as part of an hourly rate. If you "guesstimate" the time it will take to do the site and charge a fair hourly rate, you should be okay. Ron's advice to work this out ahead of time and get a written contract is wise, relative or not. That way each party has a clear expectation of their obligations- you to do the site to your customer's specs, and him to pay you.
Johanna