Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding an Esata to my computer need some help

• Please log in to reply

Chefmike87

Chefmike87

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi i own a Gateway GM5478,

and i wanted to add a Esata port, for the new external hard drive im going buy..

this is the inside view of the computer

Posted Image

i was wondering if you could suggest which Esate port to buy, cause ive seen a few of them and when they slide in they connect to the motherboard and my motherboard doesn't have those connections plus the video card is right there two so it might over heat either of the connections
(and how to connect the Port to the computer)

also i was wondering it they make a front port for the Esate (just so the video card doesn't over heat i have a extra cd drive open to put it in..)

(the second down)
Posted Image

Thank you for your help,
Mike

P.S. i was thinking of getting this hard drive, 1Tb external

Iomega UltraMax Hard Drive

and this one for our network

Iomega 1TB Home Media Network Hard Drive

Advertisements

Kazzoo

Kazzoo

Visiting Consultant

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Have you considered just using a Esata connector with bracket? This would include a cable to connect to a open SATA controller?

Posted Image

If cables (connections) were going to melt because of the video card I suspect it would have done so already.
So if you really are concerned, get one (esata connector bracket) with a long cord so you can route it away from heat sources.

From what I read about your model of computer, you do have sata ports already on board. There are two of them. One should be used up by the existing (as delivered) internal harddrive.

http://www.acmecable...ex.cfm?nPID=227 shows a cable for about $6.00 US. Dont over think it.

Regards and good luck.
Kaz

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Something like this will work fine: http://www.newegg.co...2-007-_-Product
It's a low profile card and won't cause your video card to overheat (make sure you have a PCI slot open before you order it)

These are good: http://www.newegg.co.....e=Top Sellers

BTW, the product that Kazzoo suggested is very nice too, consider it, but make sure you have 2 SATA ports open on your motherboard.

Edited by edge2022, 26 September 2009 - 11:08 PM.