Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP cannnot connect to netVirus or repair?

• Please log in to reply

chuck3

chuck3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
After this one for 3 weeks. First thought a virus as got a "Microsoft Installing Scan" message that started every time XP started up, and every time most anything clicked on. Traced it back to "COMODO AV Scan" , Whats Running WR2.2 showed this one started up thought a copy of msiexec.exe Deleted ALL COMODO and it went away, EXCEPT FOR MS "Firewall" states COMODO firewall in place" even if it shows I shut down Windows firewall. NO repeat of MS Installing Scan"..
NOW have to cure issue that started up at same time. DSL is out. Network adapter shows connectivity 10KBS etc. Drives up to date on HW, HW Mager shows all is "device OK". What happens is when click on email or just a www shortcuts, PC goes to slow, Network Adapter Icons show outgoing... (off network adapter "property" box)but that is where all stops. Have hard wired in address (Via data from ISP) as will NOT "obtain address automatically and shows connectivity at that point, but will not access net.
A. Have run winsock checks,all OK.
B. Have run most all virus scans I can load from CD obtained by other machines.
C. am using four place router, ALL other machines fine.
D. NOTE PC IS OFF LINE, will NOT CONNECT, so do not suggest "go download etc" unless it can be via CD Copy from other machine.. NOTE most virus etc SW needs to go online to update!!! I CANNOT.
E. NO virus shows up in any scans, Malware etc. Emailed with Malware techs and they were not to helpful, just told to run some MS programs.. which we had already done... and email them Hijack via REIS run.
F Have run scans of register via "run these to check for etc" and nothing shows up
HOW can I get the DSL back, HW seems to check out fine, even tried eathernet care in another machine, all fine.. Some sort of SW issue, perhaps a virus, but all other programs Word, etc, run fine.. Using firefox and thunderbird.. XP Home is up to date to sp3.

IDEAS and at this point "Format" is NOT an option, so forget that one. Would "Repair" work? or other ideas. Have reinstalled Network adapter and even removed the "hidden address" etc that goes with such things. So what now.. and remember CANNOT download off line to that machines..and due to huge amount of data on HD and NO backup systems about .. will NOT consider "Format" as options.. What now as not real well versed in how PC gets to the Network Adapter and to router etc.. Router is fine. This went down same time as "Windows Installing Scan".. which is now gone. NOTE running very old win98 300HTZ CPU machine on DSL line I removed from down unit, so DSL router etc etc seems fine.

Advertisements

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Can't lose your data, huh? well, you're running out of options I think... :)

It could still be a virus or malware... you should completely exhaust that chance. Keep up with the malware removal people until they tell you for sure you're clean. They have several tools that you can generate logs with, and don't need updating from the net. They're simple exe files and tend to report more than most scanners. Another idea is to try the scans you ahve already from safe mode - you didn't mention if you had done that and it can make a difference in what the software sees.

Have you gone to your Network Connections and checked the properties of your LAN? If there's a filter installed there by comodo you may be able to disable it there.

Have you done a search in Regedit for "Comodo" entries that may still be active? If you see any, let us know what they are but don't touch them at this time.

Try downloading a newer version of your LAN Controller or Driver. Burn to disk or put on a flash drive, transfer into your machine and install. This may fix it, even though everything seems to show it's working well - wouldn't be the first time.

Actually - there's something I've run into before, now that I'm thinking of it. Have you updated your LAN Driver recently? Roll it back, if so - could be the problem. Bad update releases do this occasionally.

Honestly, what I'd personally do when faced with this problem after all the time you've put in so far? Buy a new Drive, make that the master, partition, format and install a new OS. Slave the old and retrieve all your data when you're done with the rebuild. Then wipe the old one and use it for backups.

Alternatively, I'd slave the old one to the computer you're using to get online now and back-up my data that way, then rebuild fresh on a repartitioned and reformatted drive.

I know you don't want to do that, but it would most likely solve all your problems and would save you a ton more time and effort - and you'd have a nice, fast, clean and fresh system to start over with. Besides, you should be backing all this data up anyway - and in more than one location. It doesn't really take all that long to do comparative to what you've been doing.

Good luck!

Edited by n3ko, 25 September 2009 - 01:18 PM.

chuck3

chuck3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
There is NO HW Issues of any kind theyh ALL checked out. THE LAN is working fine, there are three machines on router and all work fine. This is a SW issue. Format and or wipe drive is NOT a option, live with it.
The COMODO is fully removed and all associated with it is cleaned out. Yes have run ALL scans in normal and safe modes.. anyone that thinks that SW cleans or gets out all virus, trojans etc is not in real world. Even Malware techs had no suggestions of merit other then send them hijack logs etc.. and then advised to run standard MS test programs.. Thje HD checks out 100% as does ALL HW so lets not waste time on that area. Did note latest on Avast was a SW issue that sounds very like one I had.. and AVAST was installed. .. ran as primary AV with COMODO disabled except to run when AVAST shut down to compare runs.

This is some sort of SW issue where PC will NOT talk to the ethernet card as card to router announces connectivity.. Please no more suggestions on running various AV's.. tried a few and not much happened there. Please do not waste our time suggesting Format etc as tha is NOT an option. I have NO intention of buying back up drives etc and will NOT hook ANY PC to the infected one for file transfer as NO ONE can assure if it is a virus it will not travel. for NOW PC is off the local area network or if goes on line, ALL Others shut off.
Still wondering if "MS XP Repair" might fix this but not sure exactly what repair would change or fix. 00% of posters never seem to of heard of XP Repair and suspect a lot of needless "Format" was done when not needed.
For now treating the failure "Windows cannot find HTTP" etc same as the seemingly "Format it as no solutions" when we ran into Microsoft Installing Scan issue".. it can be fixed but requires some knowledge of systems.. same for this failure to connect to net.. probably a virus of some sort.. just no one seems to have found it yet...
Appreciate suggestions but they are not acceptable solutions. Will not risk other PC's in data transfer..

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

There is NO HW Issues of any kind theyh ALL checked out. THE LAN is working fine, there are three machines on router and all work fine. This is a SW issue.

I never suggested a HW issue. Firmware and Drivers are SW. They do not get detected in most scans as causing problems, so you need to check and troubleshoot them yourself by trying rollbacks and updates to them. Conflicts in drivers and controllers, installed filters that did not get removed on uninstall and bad updates to drivers are very likely culprits. Relying on scans, as you point out yourself, is pointless in this situation.

Format and or wipe drive is NOT a option, live with it.

I'm not the one who has to live with it. You're the one limiting yourself, but it's certainly your own time to waste. :)

The COMODO is fully removed and all associated with it is cleaned out.

Obviously there's leftovers somewhere or you system wouldn't show it there:

EXCEPT FOR MS "Firewall" states COMODO firewall in place"

...anyone that thinks that SW cleans or gets out all virus, trojans etc is not in real world.

And yet you're relying on them to tell you you're definitely not infected thus it's a SW issue?
HJT doesn't catch everything either. For instance, it will not detect a Rootkit - which could be the cause of your trouble. There are a few programs that can see them, and only the Malware Techs can guide you on that. Don't assume because some cleaners show you as clean, that you are - take your own advice.

Even Malware techs had no suggestions of merit other then send them hijack logs etc.. and then advised to run standard MS test programs.. Thje HD checks out 100% as does ALL HW so lets not waste time on that area.

I find that very hard to believe. As I said, there are deeper scan programs that can look at things HJT wouldn't see. MS diagnostics are notoriously crap, with the exceptions of sfc and chkdsk - and even they don't work 100% of the time. And as I've been told myself, few people here rely on HJT anymore. That the Malware techs here would only ask for HJT logs is unlikely.

This is some sort of SW issue where PC will NOT talk to the ethernet card as card to router announces connectivity..

Exactly. Firmware, Drivers, system root, registry and a left over filter from comodo (suggested by your first post) are what you should be looking at, since you've looked at everything else.

Please no more suggestions on running various AV's.. tried a few and not much happened there.

Relying on scans from "a few"? You said yourself that relying on scans to remove all infections and problems is ridiculous.
Most scans do not see Rootkits and will not detect corruptions left from some cleanings or missed items in the registry left from an infection. But, believe what you want.

I have NO intention of buying back up drives etc and will NOT hook ANY PC to the infected one for file transfer as NO ONE can assure if it is a virus it will not travel. for NOW PC is off the local area network or if goes on line, ALL Others shut off.

And yet you are so sure that this is not a virus, because all scans you've tried show you as clean and Malware techs have come up with nothing as of yet. Besides the fact that if you're so sure it's an infection, you're posting in the wrong board - no one can help you with that here.

Still wondering if "MS XP Repair" might fix this but not sure exactly what repair would change or fix. 00% of posters never seem to of heard of XP Repair and suspect a lot of needless "Format" was done when not needed.

You should not attempt repair without backing up your files, if you don't want to lose data. Repair wiped my own system, and I've read of that happening to others. Usually due to having a higher SP than is on the install disk. You could try slipstreaming a disk with the higher service pack to perform a clean repair, but I still wouldn't risk it without backing up files first. That said, repair is very successful for many as well.

For now treating the failure "Windows cannot find HTTP" etc same as the seemingly "Format it as no solutions" when we ran into Microsoft Installing Scan issue".. it can be fixed but requires some knowledge of systems.. same for this failure to connect to net.. probably a virus of some sort.. just no one seems to have found it yet...
Appreciate suggestions but they are not acceptable solutions. Will not risk other PC's in data transfer..

The simple fact is, if this is a rootkit or similar deep infection, your best chance of fixing it is a reinstall. They are incredibly difficult to remove, and usually not 100% successful. If it is an infection and that difficult to find, the chances are it is that kind of deep system infection. Or it's a corruption from an infection. Regardless, you may not be able to completely fix it no matter your understanding of a system. Some things really can only be fixed by a reinstall. But by all means, keep digging. If you find the answer elsewhere before someone here does, post it so we can learn.

Anyway, this is the wrong board if you really believe it to be an infection of some kind. No one hear can help you with that, it's against terms of use. You have to stick with the malware techs Here, which is why I said you need to keep working with them and exhaust all options there. You have only 2 posts, so it seems you've not bothered to work with them on this at all.

It's either a SW issue, or it's an infection. If you really want to check software issues, then check your firmware and drivers. Check the filter on your LAN. Seems you've tried everything else short of a repair.

Edited by n3ko, 26 September 2009 - 01:23 PM.

chuck3

chuck3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Let's establish a few things.. my PC my fix, Format is NOT an option. Secondly have run tests on most of all you mention to include root kits etc.. Lastly We did spend and waste time with Malware whom was ZERO help.

ANY adult out there with any IN-DEPTH KNOWLEDGE knows ALL and any of the AV OUT THERE DOES not DETECT A GREAT DEAL OF THE PROBLEMS.

You data was not much more then self serving, not a solution. Nor are you calling the shots on where I post. You are amusing, and not to functionally literate as noted that I CLEARLY stated MS Firewall, FYI MS is Microsoft. was stating Comodo firewall. Been about IT a long time and simply wanted some REAL expert advise on the issue as suspect it is now a XP connections issue, NOT a virus.. So please refrain form bothering me with your "help".

]And a little tip if yo wish to pursue a career in trouble shooter tech etc", more so if remoter type. If someone says the HW has been checked accept it until proven different, if AV tests stated as run accept it.. your attitude of "well that is not true as I say so" is not exactly the credentials of knowledge and experience of adult behavior. Learn to work with the facts you have presented or stay out, your suggestions are not more then a endless series of shotgun fixes that hope one might hit.. not solutions. Been about the IT world long enough to know that sometimes we over look an item, so when I say something was done, I assure you it was checked and double checked, But you are amusing..... in your own way, but would not last to long in a company where shotgun the issue and one might work. NOTE in today's world the new thing in "customer services-fixes", form Doctors to IT is CAREFULLY listen to the client, not attack or take apart all they say, as that is the sign of "best guesser" not Best fixer.
AKA Please no more of your "assistance". Suspect some sharp XP systems type might have heard of issue and has real solution.