Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer freezes up when window asking for viaagp1.sys and cannot cont

• Please log in to reply

Robpet

Robpet

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[size="6"][/size]
I amm trying to do a repair install of windows xp home with service pack 3 disk. When I get to the part of installing devices and 34 % complete the window pops up File needed " the file VIAAGP1.SYS on Via AGP Filter Driver Disk is needed" type the path where file is located, and then click OK. Well, it freezes and I cannot use mouse or keyboard to do anything. I cannot get past this stage whatsoever. tried cold start and restart and always get back to here and freezes. No I cannot get anywhere. What can I do to remedy this problem. Thanks for any help I really need here.
Rob

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can skip this file during a repair.
If you're using a USB keyboard or mouse it's possible the drivers for USB devices are out of order. You're better off using an older one, the PS/2 connector if those are available on your machine.

Robpet

Robpet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Neil

The computer is AMD and chipset is Via and I was able to get into windows before repair but did not load very fast and internet explorer would not open. So decided on repair. Problem is the mouse works right up until that window pops up then the red light goes out and keyboard does not work either. I tried with adapter to the PS/2 ports but that will not work at all at any time. Now I want to format the drive and do a clean install, but setup will not let me do that either. I cannot even get into the bios on restart. It just continues back into setup. No known virus as far as i can tell earlier. this problem was caused by many blue screens when trying to play a movie on the DVD I just installed. I had 512 of ram and it blue screened every time. i then went to 1 gig ram and movie played then, but all these other problems kept coming. I ran error correction on shutdown before this repair attempt and there were many errors and repairs earleir before I attempted the repair. I might take out the hard drive and install it on another computer and just reforamt and clean install. I am just hoping there is another way to save data on this drive.