Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backdoor virus persisitant popups

• Please log in to reply

Lisa69

Lisa69

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My computer won't let me format my hard drive. It says drive c is currently used by another process. Aborting format.
How do I find out what is running so I can reformat?
I know I have a backdoor virus called about.blank. I also have many other virus's.
Please help!!! :tazz: Would be much appreciated!

Advertisements

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
;) Don't be in such a hurry to reformat.

First off, I suspect you're trying to reformat your hard drive from within windows, by simply right-clicking on the c: drive and selecting format.

That will never work, because you cannot reformat the active boot disk from within windows, after all, how you overwrite active system files you're currently using.

Anyway, there are pinned notices about reformating your hard drive and reinstalling your OS. But before you go there, go the Ad-Aware forum for advice on getting rid of your spyware/malware.

Your browser and system is infected and these guys will help you clean it.

Download a free version of ad-aware here:

http://www.lavasoftu...ftware/adaware/

The guys in the Ad-aware forum will guide you through using the software, submitting the log to them, and advise on removal.

Re-formatting should always be a last resort, good luck :tazz:

Linuxwannabee