Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

webcam, mic, and mouse problem

• Please log in to reply

emubreath

emubreath

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi I am running windows 7 ultimate on a toshiba satellite u400 laptop and have three main problems that are bugging me.

mouse: whenever I start up the computer, the mouse doesn't work at all. I went into devices and it said the mouse is not working properly. but once I restart, it works perfectly fine. it keeps alternating between working and not working, so I have to restart it twice to get it to work.

webcam: I've really only used this with skype, but there are two main problems.

first of all, when the lights are off, the video shown by the webcam will be completely black. if I shine a light, say from my phone, that light will be shown in the video then the whole screen will be bright and I will be able to see my face from the light coming from the screen. However, this usually only lasts for a split second then it will go back dark again.

the second problem is that whenever I move the screen, even sometimes by the slightest amount, the webcam will disconnect and reconnect immediately after. this is particularly annoying with skype because I have to reclick the show video button. also, sometimes the webcam completely stops working and it displays a message saying unknown error, or it just won't show anything at all, but the webcam light will be on.

microphone: when I go to sound in the control panel, then go to the recording tab, it says I have two microphones. top panel analog jack and front panel 3.5 mm jack. In skype they show up as Microphone (High Definition Audio Device) and Microphone (High Definition Audio Device)(2). when I start up skype the microphone it's selected on never works, whether it's 1 or 2. I always have to switch the microphone it's using for it to work. This is kind of a nuisance. also in the control panel I set the microphone boost to +40 dB. before I did this, neither of them worked

I hope someone can fix some/all of these problems. thanks!

Advertisements

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
These fixes will require driver updates from Toshiba. You should see them start to appear in late Oct around the release time of Win7.

emubreath

emubreath

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I also forgot to mention that the computer was dropped at one point and the two pieces of plastic holding the screen together split open a bit, but that was easily fixed by applying a little force to put the, together. would this have affected the connection between the webcam and the computer in any way?

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
It could have. Best option in that case, open it up and check the connections to make sure that they are secure. But from what it sounds like, it is a driver problem which is not easily fixed without the proper drivers.