1. Always works perfectly in Safe Mode;
2. Sometimes works in normal mode sometimes it won't - it freezes just after windows loads but before applications are started;
3. Keyboard & touchpad whilst working in Safe Mode do not work in normal mode when the laptop is frozen. However, the mouse does work.
4. Network works in both modes.
5. In normal mode, taskmanager shows that 'System' takes up between 35% & 45% CPU, whereas in Safe More it shows as 0%.
I used Acer's XP drivers then used Driver Genius to update the them.
A specialist says that the machine's hardware appears to be working OK.
So, what does full working mode do that Safe Mode doesn't [or vice-versa!], PLEASE?