Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mouse?

• Please log in to reply

msgraceless

msgraceless

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have Windows XP and my mouse stopped working. Just stopped. I was watching a .avi file in WinAMP when it stopped working (don't know if that has anything to do with it). I switched mice - I tried three different ones, none of 'em worked. I am getting very anxious here. I'm doing a virus scan right now, but so far, nothin'. I rebooted, rebooted in safe mode, and used the system restore thing to restore my system to two days ago. Zip. Why is my mouse not working and how do I fix it?!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What make of PC and mouse do you use?

msgraceless

msgraceless

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
eMachines T2984 and the mouse that came with it.

msgraceless

msgraceless

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
And the Norton Virus scan just finished - no viruses.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the XP CD then press the start key then use the arrows to move to run then press enter then type sfc /scannow then press enter

msgraceless

msgraceless

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Problem - XP CD cannot be located.

demirkol

demirkol

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
are they updated?

msgraceless

msgraceless

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The virus definitions? Not for a couple of months - my subscription ran out in March.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Press start button on keyboard and use arrows to get to control panel then press enter then press tab key to highlight switch to classic view then press enter then use tab key to get row of dots aroung 1st icon which should be accessibility then use arrows to move to mouse then press enter

Edited by Keith, 14 May 2005 - 07:00 PM.

msgraceless

msgraceless

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK, all that's there are "MouseKeys" settings.

Advertisements

msgraceless

msgraceless

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
under mouse properties->hardware no devices show up, even though my mouse is plugged in.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Press start button on keyboard then use arrows to get to my computer then press enter then use tab key to highlight view system information then press enter then press and hold ctrl then press page up then use arrows to highlight hardware then press enter then use tab key to highlight device manager then press enter the use tab key to highlight computer name then use arrows to get to mouse then press right arrow then down arrow to highlight mouse then press enter then press and hold ctrl and tap page up key to get to driver then use tab key to highlight update driver then press enter then use tab key to get row of dots round yes then use down arrow to get to not this time then press enter then use down arrow to highlight install from a specific location then press enter then use arrow to get to don't search then press enter then choose a driver

msgraceless

msgraceless

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
under the computer name there was no mouse listed.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Once the computer name is highlighted use the down arrow to get to mice and other pointing devices

msgraceless

msgraceless

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I did press the down arrow, there's just no mouse option.