Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Exporting Mail from Windows Vista mail

• Please log in to reply

ClosetStarTrekker

ClosetStarTrekker

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello All,

I have been trying to export my e-mails from Windows Vista Mail to be able to import it into Windows XP Outlook. I have tried to export it into Microsoft Exchange format. When I select this an error message comes up "The export could not be performed. An error occured while initializing MAPI". Alternatively if I could get some advice on how to move my emails from Windows Vista into XP Outlook appart from resending all of my emails back to my email address.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Paul

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try exporting the mail to PST format instead of exchange format

ClosetStarTrekker

ClosetStarTrekker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello Dsenette,

When I go to export from Vists's email programme I only have 2 options to export to, Microsoft Exchange and the other one Windows Mail format. Am I able to add extra formats that can be used to export to? I have already tried the only other option to the Microsoft Exchange format and it is not accepted by XP's Outlook.

I hope it is just that I am missing something very small.

Regards
Paul

jacobt

jacobt

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
It sounds like you are thinking about this too hard.
You probably don't even need to export your email files. You should be able to go into Microsoft Outlook and then go to Import and Export and follow the import wizard walk-through to import your Microsot Mail messages and contacts by selecting the profile if you the mail account is on the same computer in the same user account, or by navigating to the folder that your mail files are stored in if it is not.

An interesting side-note, I find the Microsoft Mail client to be an interesting example of the evolution of Windows as it has remained essentially the same file (MSIMN.EXE -- Microsoft Internet Mail and News) since Windows 95, undergoing mostly minimal user interface changes throughout the last 10+ years.

ClosetStarTrekker

ClosetStarTrekker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello Jacobt,

I am sorry but I think you are thinking of this a little too simply. I am moving my emails from one computer to another, not through a network or any other device. I have to take my emails from one computer, place them on some storage media, then import them onto the other computer.

I have tried exporting from the Vista Mail program, it has 2 options for the export format being Windows Mail 7 or Microsoft Exchange. When exporting to Windows Mail 7 format, Outlook on the XP computer does not recognise this format, so using this is useless to me. When I export from Vista's mail program to Microsoft Exchange format (which Outlook for XP will accept) I get the error message "The export could not be performed. An error occured while initialising MAPI".

Put simply, the export feature does not work for me. I am asking if there are other options out there or if I can fix this error that is occuring so that I can export in the Microsft Exchange format. I could in the past when moving from one computer to another just go in and copy the relevant files for the Inbox, Drafts etc from one computer to the other, Vista doesn't seem to allow this to happen as it saves all of its emails in a different format, a single file for each item rather then having all emails for a particular folder in one file. As the older version doesn't save it's emails in a single file for each mail format I can't just copy from one program to the other.

Regards
Paul

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey mate,

Have you tried this yet?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179637

Cheers