Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Context Menu Question

• Please log in to reply

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hello again!

So after having Office 2003 reinstalled by work's IT group, some of the applications did not populate to the "Create New" context menu when I right click on a folder. The most irritating one is Word Docs, which I use all the time and really need in the menu.

After some research, I realize I need to edit my registry. :) Horrors! Registries scare me. I really badly don't want to mess this up and am not 100% sure of what I'm doing here... This is what I've come up with so far (I've not tried to put this into practice yet):

Open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell
Create a "New Key" in "shell" folder
Name it What you want it to do (In my case "Word Document")
I know I should probably give it a default value here, but have no idea what or if I really need to?
Create a "New Key" in this new folder
Name it "Command"
Default Value (and this is a guess, please correct or let me know if it's good): C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE "%1"

Will this work?
What should that first default value be, if anything?
Does that last default value seem good?

I tried Folder Options already and didn't work, so I think this may be my only option but if there are any other options you can think of, please let me know... I hate messing with registries...

Edit:
I should add that I also checked out all the options I could find in Word and in Office and could not find one to add it to the context menu from within the application. *sigh*

further edit:
D*mn... I tried "Folder Options" again and attempted to do the above commands through that rather than through regedit. Not only didn't it work, but now I can't remove whatever it was I did. :) "Edit" refuses to light when I select the edit I made. Didn't seem to hurt ot affect anything, but I'd rather not have it just float there either.

Any ideas a) how to fix that and b) on completing the edit I need to the registry?

Edited by n3ko, 30 September 2009 - 05:54 PM.

Advertisements

n3ko

n3ko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hey there, just thought I'd bump this. Any ideas? I know this isn't as critical an issue as many here, so I understand if there's not much time to respond, but would really appreciate some suggestions if anyone has one. :)