Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive full for no reason

• Please log in to reply

Nickw1280

Nickw1280

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a new lenovov laptop that I purchased a couple months ago, and yesterday i recieved a notification that my hard drive is almost full. All of the stuff I have saved (music, pictures, school work, etc.) have used at most 45 gigs of space on my 250gb hard drive. I'm not sure what could be causing this since I mainly use this computer for school work, and searching the internet. here's what I have tried so far:

- I ran virus scan with AVG and Symantic Anti-virus
- Tried runing the disc clean-up (freed up 173mb)
- I also Tried a couple of different Malware removal tools that found nothing.

Not sure what else I can do, but it's really getting on my nerves especially since I need room to save documents and other things for school. I heard from a couple people and also read on your site that this might possibly be caused by temp folders that are overloading somehow. Not sure, but I don't have any games such as World of Warcraft (heard it has caused this problem) on here. Not sure what other information I can give you.

Please help
-Nickw1280

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
It might be the backup software (can't remember what it's called at the moment). Download the free Spacemonger and see if it will tell you what's using the space.

maddgamer

maddgamer

• Pip
  • 7 posts
[quote name='Nickw1280' date='Sep 30 2009, 08:27 AM' post='1651834']
I have a new lenovov laptop that I purchased a couple months ago, and yesterday i recieved a notification that my hard drive is almost full. All of the stuff I have saved (music, pictures, school work, etc.) have used at most 45 gigs of space on my 250gb hard drive. I'm not sure what could be causing this since I mainly use this computer for school work, and searching the internet. here's what I have tried so far:

- I ran virus scan with AVG and Symantic Anti-virus
- Tried runing the disc clean-up (freed up 173mb)
- I also Tried a couple of different Malware removal tools that found nothing.

Not sure what else I can do, but it's really getting on my nerves especially since I need room to save documents and other things for school. I heard from a couple people and also read on your site that this might possibly be caused by temp folders that are overloading somehow. Not sure, but I don't have any games such as World of Warcraft (heard it has caused this problem) on here. Not sure what other information I can give you.

Please help
-Nickw1280
System makers often add a lot of stuff you do not need. The best thing if you have a real copy of your OS (not a Rescue disk) is to reinstall the operation system. I had a friend who bought a system and the 300GB HDD had les than 50GB of free space due to all the bloat ware that the builder put on the system.

Maddgamer