Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Memory Sick Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply

WWARNER47

WWARNER47

• Pip
  • 9 posts
:) I just recently purchased a new Samsung 1 GB DDR RAM PC-2700 ECC Registered 184-Pin DIMM for my computer and I already have another 1GB memory stick in my computer. Well for some reason whenever I check the system memory through the Control Panel/Performance & Maintenance/See Basic Information About My Computer, it says that I only have 1GB of memory on my computer. So for some reason my computer isn't recognizing my new 1GB memory stick that I put in. So I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out why and what I can do to try to fix this problem. Also if this helps I built my computer myself and so the Motherboard I have is a Asus P4V8X-MX Via Socket 478 Micro ATX Motherboard. Here is a link to some information about my Motherboard Motherboard Link

Also I have attached a screenshot of my Computer Info that shows my computer is only recognizing 1GB of memory and not the 2GB that I have installed. Well I hope I have provided enough information for you guys to be able to help me.

Thanks For Your Time & Help, Will

Posted Image

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your mobo only takes Non-ECC ram...
you put in PC-2700 ECC Registered
note...when pairing up ram ...they should be from the same manufacture and the same speed...

WWARNER47

WWARNER47

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well Thank You for your help and I appreciate your quick response. Also I have one other question for you, what exactly is the difference between ECC and Non ECC memory and why do some computers take it but others don't. I mean I understand that each computer takes different memory types but that is a thing I have never heard of, the ECC memory.

Thanks Again For Your Time & Help!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
ECC stands for "Error Correction Codes" and is a method used to detect and correct errors introduced during storage or transmission of data. Certain kinds of RAM chips inside a computer implement this technique to correct data errors and are known as ECC Memory....ECC Memory chips are predominantly used in servers

for a little lite reading on RAM go here
and here at anandtech
after you get up to speed with those sites let me know and I will direct you to the heavy reading
there will be a quiz first though... :)