Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer won't recognize external HD

• Please log in to reply

still_life

still_life

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just got a new computer (it has Windows XP w/SP2), and it won't recognize my 80GB Maxtor external HD. I plugged in my old computer with XP and it worked fine on there. The external isn't in My Computer or Disk Management.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You need to go into disk management and mount the drive. It isnt hard to do...just not always plug and play like the vendor says. Go to my computer, right click, manage, disk drives. You should be able to figure it out from there. I have 4 such devices and had to do this each time with XP. My W2K systems find the drive without doing this.

still_life

still_life

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've been there. Disk Management doesn't even recognize the drive. All it sees is the main hard drive, the D drive, and the burner and CD-Rom. Then there are these 4 removable disks that are not my external.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Is this a USB drive? If so, check that your USB controller is enabled & installed correctly. Then try a different USB device, if you have one, to test the port with.

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
removable disks are your ext drive but it cant do any thing with untill you tell it

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Is your harddrive only powered from the USB slot, because sometimes the slots in front of the fixed computer don't have enough power to support it, try either using a slightly shorter USB cable or rear usb port or finding a cable that looks like a snake's tonge, in fact we have this problem often with laptops.

still_life

still_life

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
"Is this a USB drive? If so, check that your USB controller is enabled & installed correctly. Then try a different USB device, if you have one, to test the port with."

Yeah it's USB. The USB is fine. I plugged my mouse in there and it works.

"removable disks are your ext drive but it cant do any thing with untill you tell it"

Why are there 4 of them, and what am I supposed to tell it?

"Is your harddrive only powered from the USB slot, because sometimes the slots in front of the fixed computer don't have enough power to support it, try either using a slightly shorter USB cable or rear usb port or finding a cable that looks like a snake's tonge, in fact we have this problem often with laptops."

Tried that. No luck

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

"removable disks are your ext drive but it cant do any thing with untill you tell it"

Why are there 4 of them, and what am I supposed to tell it?

View Post

What is there 4 of?

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
some usb cady are like flash card readers they have 4 built in slots like lacy cady so you can use 2 drives they some time show up but only the one that has some conected to it will work or open

still_life

still_life

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
"What is there 4 of?"

There is a Removable Disk G, Removable Disk H, Removable Disk I, and Removable Disk J. If you click on all of them, they all say to please insert a disk into that drive.

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
what make of cadty is it has it ex power for it have u any unknown deices in devis mang er can you hear it spin up when on and is it pos to take drive out of cady

still_life

still_life

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry, I couldn't really understand your post there.

Could the problem be that the main hard drive is NTFS, and I think the external HD had data put on it from a FAT32?

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
shouldnt make any difference

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
what make of cady ex drive is it
has it ex power for it
have u any unknown deices in devis mang er