Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP logs on then immediately off,

• Please log in to reply

bretonboy

bretonboy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a problem, Windows XP logs on then immediately off, I tried to reboot with the Windows XP CD but when it prompts me to "Press any key to boot from CD" I loose the ability of my keyboard, thus cannot reboot!

Thanks

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi bretonboy...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
can you boot into safe mode...you do this by tapping F8 about once per second as soon as you power up the system...

bretonboy

bretonboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried your advice but it did not work it still ends up on my logon screen after it asks for the "Press any key to boot from CD" Shid I reset the boot sequence back to the HD and retry?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
take the xp cd out and see if you can boot into safe mode...

bretonboy

bretonboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried going into safemode but once again my keyboard is disabled and cannot apply the safe mode. Once it gets to the logon screen (in normal mode) the keyboard is enabled! I am at a loss here!!
I do thank you for helping me and all assistance is appreciated!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
then your bios settings are screwed up...you will have to look thru the bios and find where it says safe or optimized or defauly settings...then save your settings (usally F10 but read the screen to be sure)