Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Computer and can't access internet options fm tool bar

• Please log in to reply

mykeed

mykeed

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:) Hi...
We got this computer about 4 yrs ago. Now we are running Windows XP. It has been getting slower and slower as time goes on. I run SpyBot and SpyWare Blaster along with McAfee Virus Scan.
The latest problem is that my wife has tried to send pictures in her e-mails using Picassa. It tells her to access the go to I.E., tools, then internet options to set this up. Each time she tries it tells her that it has been "cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer and that she should contact the system administrator."
The system administrator is me, but I have no idea what to do or what has chanced to cause this. It was going fine until she noticed it day before yesterday (Oct 3rd 2009 at about 7pm.) Is it possible that the system administrator function has been hijacked?
The worst problem is the slowness. It takes forever for pages to load and to do downloades. I routinely scan with the Spybot and Spyware blaster and Mcafee has not told me about anything unusual.
I attempted to upload and attach a copy of a HiJackThis Log for you to check out, but it tells me that I am not permitted to upload this type of file.
Can you help please?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I think that your computer needs to be checked by the malware helpers of geeks to go. Please use the link in my list below, run all the preliminary scans and follow further instructions. If you can't upload a log try to create a new user account with administrator privileges and try to upload from there.